Can you celebrate your 100th birthday when you are a JW?

by blondie 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Apparently, you can't.

My 95-year-old grandmother went south to see her sister when her sister turned 100. She went with my inactive aunt and uncle and my non-JW aunt and uncle. No presents, no speeches, just dinner and time together. My grandmother has pioneered for over 40 years, her health and memory are just starting to deteriorate, and she hadn't seen her sister in a long while.

When she got back, my elder father (her son) made sure to call her and lay her out for going to a birthday party. Had to get her good and upset to teach her a lesson. Ironic that she turned to my inactive aunt and uncle for comfort afterward.

• Calliope
    Calliope

WHAT?!??!?! Wits are allowed to attend Super Bowl parties?

• Mary
    Mary

Doesn't look too good for a multi-billion dollar corporation to cut a 100 year old woman off from her family and friends for celebrating the fact that she made to a hundred. Besides, me thinks the Borg has bigger problems on its hands right now.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I'll bet there's a committee forming as we speak....

• LDH
    LDH
    Promptly at ten o’clock on the morning of October 6, the annual corporate meeting of the Society was opened at the Coraopolis Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Pittsburgh. Among worldly organizations, corporate meetings are usually cut-and-dried, business-only affairs. But this meeting was different.

I just have to say, this chaps my ass. How many "worldly organization" annual meetings have they EVER attended?!?!?

Our Annual Meetings are a celebration, and a cause to both reflect on the past and strategize for the future. At our recent Senior Staff Retreat, which was held at a 5-star location, we were treated to gourmet dinners. The atmosphere was very laid back, one step above casual.

How $ucking haughty these people are!!!!

Lisa

Pride Goeth Before a Fall Class

• Mary
    Mary

Sister Merle has been disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation for celebrating her 100th birthday at a party with cake and ice cream and candles. She is going straight to hell in a hand bag.

alt

There will be a party at Brother Spiritual's home this afternoon to celebrate his and Mrs. Spiritual's 50th anniversary. Gifts are expected. There will be cake and ice cream and candles.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Sister Merle has been disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation for celebrating her 100th birthday at a party with cake and ice cream and candles. She is going straight to hell in a hand bag.
    Oh Mary...That's so funny Or is it

• juni
    juni

Good one Mary!!

The cong. I came from we were not ALLOWED to watch football though I'm sure some did on the sly. Football was likened to the Christians being torn apart at the Coliseum.

People are so afraid in the org. with what they do. Like this for example. They have to hide the fact that they're celebrating a B/day behind the guise of a Super Bowl Party. Though maybe now that it was in the newspaper they might have to cancel their plans!? They might see a mass DF in the near future. Can you imagine all those old people in the war room w/the elders? Juni~~~~~~~~~

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

oh no, somebody is going to have their head cut off!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

That is so pitiful. If the superbowl were this week instead, then there would be no party?! I can't believe a 100th birthday is looked down upon. So everyone there will be filled with glee over "football"??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit