Richie: Taken in the Back...

by RichieRich 38 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

If you haven't already, please read the thread Richie's Elders: Deaf? Dumb? Both? If you haven't read it, you won't get the following.

So last Wednsday night, after the fine spiritual feast prepared by the Governing Body and delivered by their "spirit appointed" waiters, I was approached by an one of the brothers who served on my Judicial Committee. He asked me if I had a moment to talk. Then he said he wanted to talk in the "back". As we walked back, he nodded to the brother who gave the aforementioned talk, and he joined us. So we walked into the library, and the brother says that there is no need to sit.

He then says that he and the elder body are proud of me, and the way with which I handle myself, and how readily I accept counsel .

Then he goes into the meeting last week, specifically my comment about going to college and trying to keep things balanced while there.

He commends me for taking my studies seriously, and for having definite plans for the future.

Here's the clincher.

"But Richie, the reason we found it necessary to speak with you tonight is that your expressions of plans to attend college might be swaying some in the congregation. Several parents have been trying very hard to encourage their sons and daughters to regular pioneer once they finish school, but apparently, your firm stance about attending college, which we respect, might not be exactly encouraging to your young brothers and sisters. The elder body would really appreciate it if you were, uh, not so , uh, vocal about your plans. We appreciate your willingness to help us out."

Then we said our goodbyes and I promptly left the hall.

I was livid. But then I was happy.

Who are they to tell me I can't say, "I'm going to college." ?

Who am I stumbling? What can I do to keep it up?

This is what the society is doing. They say one thing, yet encourage another. They don't "mind" you going to college, but God forbid you speak about it.

RR

• ballistic
    ballistic

Does your congregation have recordings of meetings for those who can't attend? Perhaps the elders met and mulled over what you actually said?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Does your congrgation has recording of meetings for those who can't attend?

Yup

Perhaps the elders met and mulled over what you actually said?

They met and I'm sure they mulled. Don't know if the tape was played, but I'm sure I was scrutinized.

• ballistic
    ballistic

One day you're going to get lynched RichieRich, I sure hope you'll have your recording device ready!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

You have influence, maaaaan! Way to go!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Way to go Richie - making waves, my man!!!

Kep up the good great work!

• lucifer
    lucifer

Richie I bet you just can't wait to hand them that Da letter of yours, take a camera and take a picture of the look on their faces for us?

xox des

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lmao! That's so funny. The WTS doesn't want to overtly say "don't go to college", yet at the same time people are taken into private meetings with elders when they publicly announce that they plan on going to college.

I suspect several children at your hall will eventually end up leaving the WTS simply as a result of watching your actions and listening to your words.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    He then says that he and the elder body are proud of me, and the way with which I handle myself, and how readily I accept counsel

Let's hear for their "Holy- Spirit appointment". (no offense to you - you're great, but they have blinders on)

I didn't realize college was under a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Ridiculous.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

What hypocricy!

Attending college is acceptable - but it might stumble someone? Give me a break .

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit