Would you help JW family members?

by greendawn 29 Replies latest jw friends

• slugga
    slugga

yes.

In my heart they are still my brothers and sisters, even the ones that aren't family. Just because they are under the control of the org and are made to be hateful it doesn't mean that I have to be too. I'm better than that.

I once got my other half up and out of bed at 2 in the morning to to drive into central London to pick up a very drunken Ex brother that I'd only just met a few hours before. He missed his last train home and was sleeping in his office when i phoned him to check that he'd made the last train.

I cant turn my back on my brothers and sisters, even though they did it to me.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Yes, I would.

That being said, I have already cut my JW mother out of my life because of the emotional abuse she subjected me to my entire life, and which she was beginning to subject my kids to. Yet, when she needed me because of a medical crisis a few months back, I dropped everything and spent my days taking care of her.... after which she proceeded to slander me all over town. But if I could do it over again, I would do the same thing. I think it's the 'right' thing to do, but I'm not sure if that's a healthy view to have or not...

GGG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I first saw the title of this thread the first thing that came to mind was, "NO! F*CK THEM! I don't exist only for the convenience of people who hate every breath I take." And no, I'm not exaggerating the way a certain few feel about me.

Then I read some of the posts in this thread, and I thought back to when I was a JW...

My dad was never a JW, only my mom was until I became one too. I remember some of the horrible things I said to him because he was, after all, nothing more than a Catholic with a drinking problem. Eventually my mother and I drove him out of our home. I shunned my Catholic sisters and their families because they would die at armageddon anyway. I didn't even invite my dad to my wedding. In short, I was a complete bastard to my family.

Over the years I began to notice things. Like the JWs ridiculing me when I was going through hard times with my health and finances. I went through many hardships, and without even asking him, my father always stepped up to help me through a difficult time - without question, and without a single word of reproach for the way I treated him. By the time he died we were the best of friends. He showed by example the meaning of unconditional love. Once I left the JWs the rest of my family was very supportive, and have bent over backwards to include me in their own family activities. They too, have never once given me the shit I so richly deserve.

So I am now going to do a complete about-face regarding my prior position regarding relatives who shun.

I believe it's best to show them unconditional love, even if they continue to treat you badly. Whether it's evident or not, you are making an impression on them.

W

• Brigid
    Brigid

Would. Can. And Do. All the time. I have to hide some of my fiscal support from my never a jw husband because he thinks it's sick that a grown woman who is as intelligent as my mother has handed her mind, heart and spirit unquestioningly over to a cult (yea, that's a great witness! SHAME on the ORG!)

My mother has bought all of the crap hook line and sinker (don't go to school. wait on Jehovah. don't rise too high). She even comes from the old school where you don't buy life insurance! So, at middle age, having a racked body and spirit from scrubbing toilets for a living after my non-jw father left her, I have to help her often. My brother has gone back to the borg and works and lives with her and his wife and 2 children from her first marriage. I try to make sure his children have clothes by sending target gift cards.

My sister and I are the only semi-whole ones of the lot.

~Brigid

• greendawn
    greendawn

Judging from the replies the Ex dubs are made of a great moral fibre, to empathise so much with their estranged relatives. I don't have any JW relatives except a sister but she doesn't shun me so I never dealt with this dilemma.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Of course! All of my daughters and grandchildren are JWs andthat doesn't stop me from loving them.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Would. Can. And Do. All the time.

Yep, us too.

Buncha evil apostates!

Dave

• rebel8
    rebel8

I would help one of them, and would use the opportunity to blast the borg. The rest of my relatives I would not help and they can go straight to H-E-double toothpicks for all I care.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I doubt they'd ask...

J

• greendawn
    greendawn

If I remember well Rebel and Jeannie were given a very rough time by their JW relatives. Some of them are nasty people and hard to sympathise with for as long as they have that hostile attitude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit