The end is not close..................so prove it !

by vitty 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Vitty

1. Which other religion has such a hopeless track record at interpreting scripture and making wrong popphecies and predictions? They have been wrong about several hundreds of things which can now be proved and even they accept they were wrong. Their failure rate for all predictions has been precisely 100%.

2. Suggested reading - The sign of the last days by Carl Olof Johnsson. It refers to Watchtowers of the 1960s and 1970s admitting that Jesus' disciples did not believe Christ's presence would be invisible. JWs only fell back on that adventist theory because of yet more failed predictions.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Isn't it sad that people really have to have division over these things? I think it is almost 99% effortless to try and argue w. a JW about the Bible. However, there are lots of good points made here.

I'd suggest reading Matthew and just being bolstered in confidence by knowing that Jesus wasn't referring to this generation anymore than he was referring to the last generation, or the next. The main point of it all is that we do always have to be prepared, in our hearts, and to live good lives because we never know when the end is.

Peace,

AJ

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

I wouldn't want to be in a cult when the End comes....That's what I would want to tell them.!!!!!!!!!!! All the more reason to get the H&*^&^*&% out!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

NICE one Sirona!

Avoid the subject for as long as you can; become adept at changing it. If they break through that, tell them you don't want to talk about it right now. Then 'I'm not ready to discuss it yet'. And don't until you are ready. It's a bad time, and they've no right to force you into it just because they're scared that somebody else won't affirm their crazy beliefs, and this time it's somebody who really actually knows them in depth.

No hon it's not just you, it's all of us (and most of them). I still get these little flashbacks. I remind myself that I was in a cult, and that's how they work. I look at everything I know about it, and it just isn't true.

I think it was jgnat who said 'if it looks like an apple, and tastes like an apple, it's probably an apple'

• jgnat
    jgnat

All great replies! Leolaia, you've laid the whole problem out neatly and turned it on it's head.

If they bring up evidence of this or that bad thing, mention that even Jesus said we would always have these troubles with us. Then, as Leolaia mentioned, ask how long the Jehovah's Witnesses have been predicting the end of the world? When a bible student went preaching back in 1847, would they have believed that you would have existed today?

Here's another great scripture to bring up, thanks Joelbear:

Matthew 6:33-35 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

JW's are notorious for putting up pleasure today for a future promised hope. They make for miserable seniors. If they ask "Aren't you concerned about the future? What of your hope?" Quote Matthew 6:33-35 and tell them you are living it.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Awesome words, jgnat. Keep it simple vitty, you'll do fine. You're on the right track and that is the

important thing!

Peace,

AJ

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

My favorite is when some old codger says "just look at the world today! Ever watch the news?!"
    I want to say: "Sensationalism is news. Something is not news unless it can be sensationalised on national TV. Surely there are bad things that do happen, but most of those things are not aired; what you see is the stuff that is emotionally affecting, stuff that can tug at your heart strings. Today, there is little difference between televised 'news' and entertainment. In fact, most networks realize this and invite a new era of yellow journalism."

• target
    target

Ask them the question I asked myself five years ago:

"What if they are wrong? What if?"

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit