Here We GO - Can't Fade No More

by unique1 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greven
    greven

My thoughts:

We wanted to respond to the last comment you made on the phone: “I wish you could have unconditional love for me.” We looked up unconditional love and only found it mentioned three times in the Watchtower publications.

LOL they 'looked it up'. Kind of telling too, just three times.

This is a statement from the Awake: “AMONG the greatest gifts parents can give to their children are unconditional love and a set of values that the parents live by and do not just lecture about. Without proper values, life is little more than a crude struggle for survival. Values give meaning to life. They establish priorities. They set moral boundaries and define rules of behavior.”

We do love you unconditionally so does Jehovah, but as stated above, unconditional love is not without priorities, rules, boundaries and values."

I disagree with some folk here that think the WT here in question defines 'unconditional love' as 'love with bounderies'. That is not to be taken from the quote. Let me redo the quote to show you:

AMONG the greatest gifts parents can give to their children are (1) unconditional love and (2) a set of values that the parents live by and do not just lecture about. Without proper values, life is little more than a crude struggle for survival. Values give meaning to life. They establish priorities. They set moral boundaries and define rules of behavior.”

The second part about boundaries and rules refers back to the set of values displayed by the parent, not the unconditional love part.

In reality however, any love they practise IS conditional, be that friendship, marriage, paternal and other relations of kinship. It's all based on whether or not you agree with current doctrine. When you disagree or even just doubt you are quickly tossed aside.

I would, personally, tell your parents they misunderstood the passage from the WT, maybe add the dictionary definition of 'unconditional' (really the word already says it all does it?), before taking any rash steps. DA/DF gets you in even more trouble and might not be worth it.

I feel for you. Good luck and strength to you!

Greven

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Very interesting observation, Greven.

They clearly did a bait and switch. They used 'unconditional love' as one of the gifts a parent could give, then quickly began to traverse the ole' well beaten trail of legalistic rules disquised as 'values'. Keen observance. I missed it till you pointed it out.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit