Answer from the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses"

by Lilycurly 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

That's another excellent point Mary...

I guess he would say that they do "love their ennemies" and that's why they are doing the shunning, because they love them so much they'd do anything to "save their lives" They really twist everything up in a crazy knot of non-sense.

My mother even told him of examples where the shunning policy destroyed families. Precise ones about grand-mothers who couldn't see their grand-children and the likes. He just closes up and answers that all those stories are made-up lies from apostates.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Dear Lilycurl, Your Dad would benefit greatly by considering the example Jesus set for everyone # 1 . Treat others as we would want to be treated. If Jesus had acted as the Pharisaism WTBS would suggest, he never would have spoken to the woman at the well, never would have spoken to much less touched the leprous man , would not have healed the woman with the constant flow of blood (probably would have had her stoned though ). The WTS clouds up the beauty of the spirit of love Jesus actually taught . Tell him to re-read those accounts w/o watchtower influence and let the spirit of love there really touch his heart . Then as others advise- tell him to stop asking permission to love his daughter . If it means associating with you w/o others needing to know, well then fine, since he is the only witness in the family there should be no worry bothering someone else's conscience. I truely hate that you are going through this ! And I hate that your Dad has to go through this too. From my own experience I can say the BIGGEST mistake I have made in my life was going against my own conscience and gut feelings. For more than 20 yrs. I shunned my older brother , it makes me sick to admit , during those years I waivered back and forth talking to him occasionally, but never being in his life. Now I am determined to make up for that lost time , if he even wants that now. If your Dad could only see ahead how much pain he will cause for him and yourself ,he would stop asking now and go with his heart on what he knows is right.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Thank you troubled mind.

For a moment there, I thought you might be my uncle...my father's brother. The two of them never talked since my dad became a JW, so I don't even remember him. I think it might do some good that we both talk...

Anyway, you are right, I will read those parts of the Bible again and try to have my father look into it. It is very difficult though, because he is very closed up to the idea of talking about religion with me. I know for certain that if the WT was clear and told him that he could defenitly not talk to me, he would obey. It would hurt him, but he would. He'd never sneak around their backs like that, he would feel dirty and guitly. So that's not an option...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    By respection the excommunication decret, faithful ones are protected in the case where the excommunicated person might try to persuade other people to follow her wrong way. We also hope that this draconian action will bring them back to reason.

Lilycurly - are these the words they used here? Do they even know what it means?

Dra·co·ni·an [dr? k?nee ?n]or dra·co·ni·an [dr? k?nee ?n] or Dra·con·ic [dr? kónnik] or dra·con·ic [dr? kónnik]
    adj
    1. too harsh: unjustly harsh or severe
    2. of Draco: relating to the Athenian statesman Draco of the 7th century bc, or to his wide-ranging and harsh code of laws

[Late 19th century. From the Greek stem Drakon- “Draco.”]
    Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Thesaurus shows these similar words;

harsh severe strict strong austere ruthless

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

In just what way will the treating of a person 'too harsh: unjustly harsh or severe' do that? They liken it to the jewish practice of 'stoning one to death' for God's sake. And further, of what 'sins' are you to show repentance? Thinking? Just how would you show this 'repentance'? By writing a letter to the elders and stating that you are repentant for leaving the religion? God, the longer I am out and the clearer my head gets, the more screwed up this religion appears to me.

They are right in calling it 'draconian' - I am surprized they would admit as much.

Jeff

• Mary
    Mary
    Lilycurl said: I guess he would say that they do "love their ennemies" and that's why they are doing the shunning, because they love them so much they'd do anything to "save their lives"

No. Don't let him off the hook that easily. That is NOT what Jesus said. He specifically said that if we greet our brothers only, then what extraordinary thing are we doing? So equating "loving your enemies" to shunning them is ridiculous and certainly "goes beyond what the scriptures say. Nowhere did Jesus say for his followers to shun their enemies in order to show them "love".

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Original French word---"Draconien" -"d'une rigueur excessive" (excessive harshness/severity/rigidness/sternness)

Yes, I think that's a correct choice of word when it comes to the WTS.

I looked some of their references up...and the "excellent results" are ones along the lines of an elderly woman who has left "the truth" and finally came back some time later because her two JW adult children phoned her to inform her that they would have to shun her because they loved her and would wait for her to come back. Sorry I just have t....

• Scully
    Scully
    We also hope that this draconian action will bring them back to reason

Somehow, I don't think so. Translated from French, it's likely to be something along the lines of "harsh" or "severe" or "strict".

Lilycurly, even if it's in French, having the letter scanned would be extremely useful - there are people who would be willing to host it and the translation. It's very educational! You can alter the document to black out the name and address, and protect your dad's identity.

(Of course, the WTS Christian™ Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses™ would have a record of their letter and would be able to identify your dad as the source if it came to their attention.)

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hmmm...yes, that's what I'm scared of...If they did find it out, then I'd be in much more trouble then I already am with him. I don't think he even knows I read it...

They did use the word "draconien"..but you're right, they might have meant strict...

• Mum
    Mum

What is so sad is that JW's can't distinguish right from wrong (what happened to the "law written on hearts" i.e., Christian freedom?) because of the teachings of the WTBTS. The reasons (or whatever) given in scripture for shunning (or whatever) are based on behavior that is not accepted by any religion, NOT a lack of confidence in geriatric Brooklynites.

Take the initiative, Lily. Talk to your dad, hug him, and don't allow yourself to be shunned.

Best regards,

SandraC

• LDH
    LDH
    I think this letter is very important and should be scanned and put on the web ASAP.

Agree.

Please get hold of this letter and black out any personal info and put it here, PLEASE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit