Spelling and grammar why?

by skyman 13 Replies latest social humour

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

And let's not even get started on the ones who type in all caps, all the time.

I have to admit that I used to be a grammar/spelling snoot. This board helped me overcome that. Now I choose to look at the content of a post instead of how it's delivered, though if the content's ridiculous AND poorly written, fuhgeddaboutit. I still wish people would take ten seconds to read over what they've written before they click Submit.

I didn't take extra English classes nor did I go to college, so that argument doesn't hold. And my daughter has been homeschooled for 14 years and she has better spelling/grammar skills than 90% of the people on this board, so that argument doesn't hold either.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I'm the guilty party. Skyman, I'm not a board marm trying to correct your spelling, but in your post you made so many horrific errors all the while trying to pass yourself as an expert on world oil conditions. I don't ever correct anyone's grammar or spelling when they are merely posting thoughts, ideas, etc. But when you are trying to build a case of conspiracy theory, try and at least SOUND intelligent.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Skydude,

I've seen what you're referring to. Generally, I've seen it in response to an arrogant post. It looks like a defense mechanism, along the lines of "Oh yeah, smart guy? If you're so smart, how come you can't spell?"

While I understand the motive, I agree with you that it's actually counter-productive. Such a person might be turned around in their thinking, but it wouldn't be as a result of having their various spelling errors pointed out. "Maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am" is not likely to be their response. Instead, THEY will get defensive.

Ignoring the spelling and responding to the message would be a better approach.

Dave of the "purfect spellur" class

• nilfun
    nilfun
    I didn't take extra English classes nor did I go to college, so that argument doesn't hold. And my daughter has been homeschooled for 14 years and she has better spelling/grammar skills than 90% of the people on this board, so that argument doesn't hold either. ;

No argument here. Obviously, it doesn't hold for your situation. I'm glad your daughter wasn't homeschooled "JW style" like I was.

Like I said, I never saw any spellcheck blasters when it comes to support on the board, and I hope I never do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit