Theocratic Warfare

by Tigerman 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Would someone who is knowledgable on the subject of JWs 'acting out' theocratic warfare on a personal

basis please let me know how they go about it ? In other words, will they actually lie and say they are

not JWs if they are asked, so as to get info from someone?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I recall being instructed to say I'm "talking to people about the bible" instead of saying "I'm a Jehovahs Witness" when talking to people at the door.

Sure, it's not a lie, but it is leaving out important information the house holder needs to make an informed decision.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I live in a relatively small town where people have to be " bottle necked " into visiting the beach for there are a limited number of designated beachside parks and parking areas. Yesterday, I was having a conversation with a couple of complete strangers on the beach and the subject turned to their wondering what my book, " In The Truth " was about. I then asked them if they were JW's for I didn't want to talk about the book if they were. They said no, however, after the conversation I remembered that there is a local JW by the same name as one of the men and in remembering their questions about the book it occurred to me that I may have been speaking to curious JWs.

I was just wondering if they would go to those extremes ( lying ) in order to " mark the goats," so to speak.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was also taught "leaving information out is not the same as lying" - I was taught that by the Presiding Overseer

• FairMind
    FairMind

Technically Theocratic Warfare is not telling the truth to someone who is not entitled to it. This would include lying in court to protect the organization. It is also done to protect those in the organization who have done something wrong or illegal in order to serve the organization’s purposes. This has happened to me.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    I was also taught "leaving information out is not the same as lying" - I was taught that by the Presiding Overseer

Tell the PO that if someone does that in court and is found out they will go to jail for perjury. Not telling the whole truth is legally the same as lying.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Fairmind, details details please!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

JW's are unlikely to tell you a lie straight to your face. They would be unlikely to say, "I am not one of Jehovah's Witnesses". However, if you asked one, "Are you a Jehovah Witness?" then they have some options.

Technically, no, they aren't "a jehovah witness". They are "one of Jehovah's Witnesses". So there's a little wiggle room. But you'd likely call them on it later.

The more likely response (assuming they've decided it's more strategic not to reveal who they are yet) is something evasive, like, "We're Bible-believing Christians talking to people of all faiths. Are you a Bible-believer?" The question tacked on the end helps you forget you asked a question and it was never really answered.

"Truth" comes in a variety of flavors for JW's.

Dave

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

I had a phone conversation with an elder in my congo about the Mexican brothers and how they bribed officals to get cartilla cards stating that they did one year of military service. I said this is outright lying. He said and I quote " Its ok to lie as long as its not a malicious lie". I said they weren't even registered as a religion for years but as a "cultural group". This of course was so they could hold on to their real-estate property in Mexico. This too I said was an outright lie. He had no comment. I told him at this point and I quote " This conversation is now over" and hung up the phone. That was a year and a half ago. Haven't seen or heard from him since.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I remember once when I was a having a conversation with someone close to me who is a JW and she told me how they, she and her girlfriend, had gotten a good deal on the price of a room when in downtown Chicago. Apparently, when asked by the desk clerk if they were representing anyone - business groups, etc.- who always got better deals on the rooms, my close friend told the clerk they were with ATT . . .which, technically speaking thet were with ATT ( for their home telephone service ! ) but in no other way connected to the company. Needless to say they got the business discount for the room and were thrilled about it all. Personally, I really didn't care what they paid for the room, however, I've often wondered how it is some JWs can justify these ' white lies' without so much as a hint of guilt . . .even laughing about the matter that they were able to " get over". Double standard?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit