If it was legal, would you have more then one spouse?

by free2beme 67 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

I find the idea intriguing. I must say though that the word "spouse" is a bit of a turn off for me, because the only real reason I'd want more than one woman in my life is for more casual reasons, like sexual variety, or just hanging out and having fun. But in the sense of marriage and all the obligations that arrangement entails, I'd porbably pass on the extra spouse(s).

Married Filing Jointly Class

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

only if they both worked to support themselves.

The OT was full of polygamy, even encouraged it. I a man died his brother took his wife. I think it is dependant on the circumstances. When war decimates the population of viril young men then it is necessary.

Tha being said, in Aust it does not work. With equality women do not need to be married to live comfortably. And they expect so much after reading all those magazines that it it impossible to satisfy just one lady. I can't keep up with one wife, let alone a harem of them.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

My first response was going to be "NO!".

But then I saw this...

but i have nothing against f*ck buddies.

...and I started thinking...mmmmaybe. A full on permanent three way (three guys) would depend alot on the individuals, I think it could work given a perfect scenario.

I don't think I'd want the headache of all that. I could not be the third leg-so to speak, but if I were one of the two in the "primary" relationship, and if communication was very explicit and clear, then I would be open to negotiating a third to join. I'm not jealous or emotionally needy/clingy.

I think it could work with the right people.

It's funny how I can contradict myself.

• Krystal
    Krystal
    I must admit, in my experience, couples who adjust that commitment and open up to have sex with others don't last.

My bf and I (who have been living together for 4 years) adjusted our relationship to include others and so far it has been great. We have been exploring our sexuality together for 2 years now and so far it hasn't caused relationship problems.

The only thing it has caused is really really great sex!!

• fairchild
    fairchild

I prefer to be by myself, don't even long for that one spouse, so no, even if it would be legal, I would not want to have more than 1 spouse.

Quite a while ago I had a relationship and all was great until I found out that he was seeing SEVERAL other women in 3 different states. I actually got to know a couple of them quite well and they were very nice people. When we all found out about each other, we all dumped him, except for 1 person who said we were just saying that he had slept with us because we were jealous of her. He actually tried to hold on to all of us, saying that each one of us gave him something different he needed and he could not find all of these things in one single person.

• free2beme
    free2beme

If it were legal, dating after married to the first spouse would be interesting. You think it is hard finding a personality match with one, imagine trying to find someone who matches with you both?

• rocketman
    rocketman

. Fairchild wrote: "He actually tried to hold on to all of us, saying that each one of us gave him something different he needed and he could not find all of these things in one single person".

That's the major thing that bugs me about the idea of having more than one spouse. Who among us really can't be fulfilled by just one person? Personally, I think that a guy (or gal) who thinks they need more than one is a bit full of themselves.

Don't get me wrong - we all have various aspects to our personality, and one person may not satisfy us in all respects. But I would think that means broadening ourselves to accept one person rather than thinking we're so 'large' as it were, that we needed multiple partners.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    My bf and I (who have been living together for 4 years) adjusted our relationship to include others and so far it has been great. We have been exploring our sexuality together for 2 years now and so far it hasn't caused relationship problems.

The only thing it has caused is really really great sex!!

I have to agree. You cant be the jealous type, or it wont work. And in some cases, you have to make rules and agree to not break them. Such as, you only do it when your together, no straying of and getting together with someone you both had last night!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit