Slippers / shoes at book studies

by billyboy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Two words....Spandex Slipper. And in flashy/neon colors most of the time. At least everyone had to wear them. After a few studies I got the brilliant idea to bring my own though, you know those nice ballet-shoes-like ones, in black.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Well nobody gets past my door mat with their shoes on unless they want to sweep and scrub my floors before they leave!

I mean come on people how rude can you be to walk in someone elses house with wet or muddy shoes on!

• slugga
    slugga

Maybe its a brit thing but in every BS i went too you were expected to take your shoes off

• Legolas
    Legolas

I don't think it is a Brit thing...It is only human decency to do so!

• blondie
    blondie
    I lived in Austria for numerous years and am still amazed at one particular custom. All visitors to a home after greetings are exchanged take off their street shoes. They are then given a pair of "Gästpantoffeln" or guest slippers. No one wears street shoes in any home to keep the street dirt from the residence. Since I have a US size 14 (Austrian 48) shoe, I had to get used to carrying my own personal pair as no one stocked them. I also learned in my travels to Germany and Switzerland, this custom is also followed. So these were a standard item in my travel suitcase or car's glove compartment.

This is also a custom in Russia, Hungary, Thailand, Canada, etc.

It is just good manners.

• slugga
    slugga
    I don't think it is a Brit thing...It is only human decency to do so!

*Holds out hands to be slapped* lol

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had a BS in my home. It's really very simple - it's my home, therefore I make the rules, and they are not subject to negotiation. Visitors can choose to obey those rules or they get ejected from my home. One such rule is that visitors remove their shoes and leave them on the mat provided. No exceptions.

JWs who refused to remove their shoes were told to leave.

W

• scotsman
    scotsman
    It is just good manners.

To some people in some parts of the world. Some of us may find it rather declasse.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I have been to bookstudies like that. Always irritated me because i wear lace up boots all the time and it is a pain to take them off and put them on. I don't worry about the floors in my house. They are all hardwood and like 150 years old, i figure shoe traffic isn't going to make a difference...

• damselfly
    damselfly

I attended one book study in a private home where you had to remove your shoes. This was okay with me since I prefer to be barefoot year round anyway. But we had to bring slippers because it would be "disrespectful" to not have covered our feet. Then I got disfellowshipped and stopped going. Yay! barefeet evry tuesday night

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit