Slippers / shoes at book studies

by billyboy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• billyboy
    billyboy

Hi everyone! Was there ever an issue as to whether you were / weren't allowed to wear shoes at a group book study in someones house , so everyone had to dump their shoes at the door?

Just asking......

• Honesty
    Honesty

All the BS's I was in we only had to leave our minds at the front door when we entered the house.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Quite a few requested to leave shoes at the door. Thankfully, one of the sisters would knit all newcomer a pair of slippers to don as soon as you walked in the door. I still have them.

• carla
    carla

Women taking off their shoes in front of men? sounds pretty racy!

• blondie
    blondie

In Japan that is the custom wherever you go. With high foot traffic in your home, I can understand not wearing shoes and tracking in outside dirt. I ask people to take off their shoes in my home and provide slippers.

Many countries have this custom.

Blondie

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

In Hawaii, it is rude to where your shoes in someone's home. Even our Kingdom Hall (Diamond Head cong) had shelves in the back for you to stash your shoes. We were all barefoot or stockinged at the KH for meetings. I didn't think anything of it then, but looking back it is kinda funny to imagine the CO or DO or a guest speaker up on stage with just his socks.

• lola28
    lola28

Several in our hall did this so my friend and I refused to go to any bookstudy that made this request, we would not even go to metting for service at anyones house if it meant we had to take of our shoes.

lola

• james_woods
    james_woods

I once saw our City Overseer - (Marion Dunlap) show up for the ministry school in his house shoes. This was because he forgot to put on his meeting shoes. This became a legend in Oak Glen Congregation (Oklahoma City) for many years.

Marion was the brother of Ed Dunlap mentioned in the Crises of Conscience book and an early escaper in the 1980 breakup.

• blondie
    blondie

I guess you can't come to my house then, lola28.

Billygoat, I remember than about the Hawaiian congregations. Here they at least try to get the people to take off their boots and put on regular shoes.

Blondie

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Some of the bookstudy groups expected us to wear slippers or at least remove our shoes. Supposedly, it was also to foster the atmosphere of a "family" gathered in the living room, so people would feel relaxed and comment more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit