Slippers / shoes at book studies

by billyboy 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

I am not talking about public places. When it came to our hall in the winter most would just take off their boots and put on their dress shoes, but some didn't but who cares that is a public place...I am just talking about someone's house when I say that.

Would you let me walk in your house with these on?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I feel I should have the right, in my own home, to walk around without getting

dog, bird or any other sort of doo on my feet. If people can't respect that and leave their dirty shoes on the inside door mat

I have to think they have no any respect for me or my home. Should I respect them?

I feel like this about carpets: they resemble white-washed graves but are full of dead men's bones inside. Carpets harbor all kinds of dust mites, molds, allergens....I would hate to take my shoes off in someone's home and step into some cat pee or poop or whatever. I would really be mad if I stepped on a pin or a piece of glass. I, also, think it's rude to ask people to take their shoes off. You assume that everyone is healthy when you do this. You assume that people don't have body disturbances of some sort. Some people are just embarrassed to take off their shoes. You might as well ask them to take off their underpants. Do you supply a clean mat each time a person takes their shoes off? Or does everyone take their shoes off at the same place? It's not common for people to ask others to take their shoes off where I live.

I wonder why people who by white carpets want to have the Book Study in their home? If they really wanted to do the right thing by all they should not offer their homes if they're going to be policing people's feet. I don't think it's the respectful thing to do. I'm sure if you told the person that has a problem with taking his shoes off that you thought it was disrespectful to your home that he would leave. I'd hope that he wouldn't be ashamed to say that.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Only if your home is a soccer or football field. Most people don't wear their cleats in a person's home. They take the shoes off at the gym. But you never know. My kids couldn't even go to the deck with those shoes on.

• carla
    carla

I've only been in one house that they were fanatical about taking your shoes off, though they had plastic runners running through and plastic on the lampshades too! I know two people who would not go to anybody's house if they had to take their shoes off, one is obsessive about wearing shoes, the minute they wake up shoes go on and do not come off until their butt hits the bed at night. The other, due to medical difficulties has problems getting shoes on and off, it can take over a half hour somedays just to get one shoe on! I think it would be cruel to ask this person to take them off and then go through the laborious and sometimes painful task of putting them back on. Looking at this person most people don't realize there is even a medical condition.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Some of you need to log off JWD, and check yourself into an OCD clinic.

It reminds me of the lady I met that wanted to develop a "shield" for birthday cakes for kids. She felt that the birthday boy / girl blowing out the candles on the cake spread germs. She wanted to make a removable plastic shield so the child could blow out the candles and then have it removed after the "blowout". Is this what the world has come to? The little rat bags wrestling around with snotty nose....like that won't spread virus, let's worry about a birthday cake shield.

Of course all these anti-bacterial soaps and whatnot that are on the market. They will only help to breed super germs. I'm not sure when wiping down the kitchen counters went from soap and water, or 409, to Bleach Spray 4500 kills germs dead became necessary.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i always took off my shoes at the group...and i was the conductor...but i always wore designer socks...(and i dont mean cartoon) to match my tie..

my socks were the stuff of legend

• calico
    calico
    This isn't generally done in Scotland. We'd rather people kept their sweaty feet inside their shoes and Wellington boots, rather than wiping them all over our carpets and floors, or popping them inside atheletes-foot ridden communal footwear.

Okay--It's time to make fun of Scotland!! My sister (half sister) is Scottish, so I can make fun of her! She has stinky feet!

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's cultural and (possibly) geographical. Our American neighbour, from Washington State, is still adjusting to the "no shoes" rule. She's adapted by purchasing a big shoe rack for the front door. She speculates that the Canadian habit to dress for the weather makes entrances and exits to our own homes a ritual, where hat, mitts, scarf, coat and boots are regularly shed. I'd NEVER walk in to someone's house in my street shoes, as our winter streets (and most of spring as well) are mucky with sand and snow and salt and silt.

MrsMcDucket, just in case you were wondering, we rarely go barefoot in other people's homes. We got socks.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

People can wear whatever they like in my house, but I usually prefer them to wear as little as possible.

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

My husband and I had book study in our home for quite some time. We had white carpet so we requested that everyone take off their shoes. For most it was not a big deal and they respected our request, but their were a couple that absolutely refused. They reasoned that our home was temporatily the kingdom Hall and they didn't have to take their shoes off at the hall so they wouldn't at our house. They were very blatant about it, the sad part is they were pioneers. We eventually had the study taken out of our home, it is a sacrifice to offer up your home and many don't appreciate it. I personally never had a problem taking my shoes off at other brother's and sisters homes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit