Who's name are Christians persecuted for?

by NowImFree 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

I have had the following realization before, but it just hit me again last night. I am reading this book called Daughters of Hope, it is about Christians being persecuted around the world and their stories. Some of the most horrible stories are from North Africa, Sudan and the middle east. Anyway, the thing that always amazes me, is that in the new testament, it says that Christians would be killed and persecuted because of the name of Jesus. Jesus himself said this would happen and that it would be because of HIS name and following HIM that God's people would be persecuted. In reading this book last night, it hit me again, all these people were being persecuted and killed for the name of Jesus, not Jehovah. Over and over again, these stories talk about people being told to renounce their faith in Jesus Christ or else.

How come I never saw the discrepancy with the JW beliefs? Did anyone else not see this glaring difference until they got out or am I the only stupid one that didn't notice this major item until later?

NowImFree

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

You're not the only one. I never really thought about that either, until you pointed it out just now. An interesting thought. If someone were out to persecute followers of Jesus, I wouldn't think JWs would be at the top of their hit list. Most people probably don't even realize that JWs are a Christian denomination to begin with.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was recently accused of being one the fortold people that is persecuting the Name of Jehovah. I did a search of the New Testament on the Watchtower Library and guess how many times the term persecution and Jehovah appear together in the NWT? Never.

I copied off about 10 examples of scriptures that talk about being persecuted for the name of Jesus. (Unfortunately I don't have it on me at the moment to post.)

Most definitely JWs are not those that are persecuted for the name of Jesus, so can not be the Christians that Jesus was talking about.

• Shazard
    Shazard

I noticed it very early as I am not JW and my mind is free to analyze and read scripture without JW bias (I have lutheran bias)

• greendawn
    greendawn

It is strange indeed that the JWs are all for jehovah and have almost completely forgotten Jesus. That amounts to a thinly disguised form of judaism, Jews may live and die for jehovah but not Christians.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Did anyone else not see this glaring difference until they got out or am I the only stupid one that didn't notice this major item until later? NowImFree

You were just blinded like I was. I didn't see it until I saw the other lies from the cult and then it hit me like a ton of bricks that the Jehovah's Witnesses do not belong to Jesus.

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

Greendawn,

You mentioned JWs being a thinly disguised form of juidiasm. I was reading a news article recently and it called the JW religion a "mixture of Christianity and Judiasm". I had never heard of the JW religion described that way but they are right. It is a false form of Christianity and it is not what is described in the new testament. How many times have I heard people who have left the JWs, including me, described as those who have left Jehovah? We aren't described as those who have left Jesus. Actually, since I left the religion, I have actually found Christ.

NowImFree

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

JWs rely heavily on the Old Testament for their doctrine. Concepts of paradise earth are taken from Jewish restoration prophecy. The multitude of laws are often based on Mosaic law. They regularly make the statement "though the Mosaic Law is no longer binding we should still accept the principles contained within it."
    What this does is undermine the sacrifice of Jesus, as it is repeatedly stated in the NT that the Mosaic Law was to show us up as sinners, that Jesus sacrifice was the end to the law.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

This just blows me away. Pagans (and others) were burnt and murdered for hundreds of years, almost a thousand now, by followers of christianity. Started when the Romans converted and didn't stop, horrific events with the crusades, with the dark ages and the burning of witches, not to mention the Americas. Care to know what the Spanish did in South America in the name of conversion? Care to know what happened to the Native Americans? But christians just want to think this is their sole provence.

Got news for you, any persecution I have suffered in the last 10 years has been at the hands of christians. Not saying or implying that all christians are like that, I know a total of 2 that are not and both post on this forum. They are the sum of my good experience.

Sherry

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Jesus said, " They persecuted ME, they will persecute you also". Pretty clear to me who he was talking about here. Has anyone also noticed how the NWT translated Rom.10:13?? This whole chapter deals with Christ, and yet they say that " all who call on the name of Jehovah will be saved". I guess in the WTS Jesus is second fiddle. Make that third fiddle, I forgot that the Organization is second. SORRY !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit