Internally: I'm forever a JW

by Thegoodgirl 25 Replies latest jw friends

• slugga
    slugga

I can relate to being at ease and at home with other fallen bro and sis. I met an ex brother last yr it was the first time I'd met someone like me and I instinctively felt at ease with him and felt that he was "my brother" Without really knowing him I put him up at mine when he missed his train home purely because he was a brother.

However I spent a lifetime being judged and looked down at by brothers and sisters because I wasn't one of those stepford types. There is no way I'd feel comfortable around an active witness nowadays.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ahh what we are and what we will become... shaped to a large degree by our experiences. NO! NOT TRUE. What we are is shaped to a large degree by how we handle our experiences.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nobody is saying that your average door-going JW isn't a nice sincere person! Gullible, yes, but it's what they represent that is so reprehensible! You have to separate the two - but be very careful, otherwise you'd end up being caught in the Watchtower web as much as those calling on you are.

Let's face it, those that have been in it for years and are still espousing the same old stuff are showing that they haven't been able to break free from the mind control. They probably accept everything that is handed down to them from Brooklyn via the elders. They don't think, they just obey! Is that really how you want to be?

And remember, the love permeated by JWs is conditional. Read more posts here and you'll know that's true! I'm a living example!!

Ian

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Yes, you're right. Had I said anything about me being inactive, or married to an unbeleiver, or having not gone to a meeting in 5 years, they would have changed their tone quite a bit.

But I still relate, and always will. But don't worry, I'm not about to go back! They way they treat my disfellowshipped sister, or my pioneering mom, no way.

• joelbear
    joelbear

we all identify with people that we have spent an enormous amount of time with. i know what you are saying. i still get a lump in my throat when i see witnesses out in service (which is rare). i don't hate jehovah's witnesses. i hate dishonesty wherever it comes from.

sometimes the most comfortable place is not the right place for us to grow and reach our full potential. I could be living at home and going to my old congregation and be very comfortable. i would have a comfortable life with few life experiences and a very narrow band of knowledge.

i'll take living my life, experiencing life, learning about all types of thoughts and ideas and people. growth takes being uncomfortable sometimes.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I have to go with Lady Lee on this one. Just because it's comfortable doesn't mean it's healthy. For years my father abused me. So when I finally grew up and moved out on my own, the guys I was most comfortable with were the type that knocked me around and verbally abused me. I didn't like getting knocked around and being told I was a whore and a loser, but it was what I was used to. It took a long time for me to realize that's not "normal" and it sure wasn't healthy. Looking back, now that I have an amazing husband, really makes me cringe. I can't believe I put up with it for so long!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit