I am a milieage victim!

by free2beme 17 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I would love to have a vehicle that got 30 miles or more to the gallon. Unfortunetly I have to toe things, like a boat, and that requires a truck. So I purchased a Dodge truck, with a Deisel Engine, and I get a thrill out of 14-16 MPG. Oh how I wish those little cars with that wonderful mileage could toe! Yet they don't and I spend a lot of money in gas and that sucks. Doesn't it amaze you, that in this day and age, we do not have vehicles that run on something other then gas? I don't get it, I thought we would see some amazing inventions in the future in this department, and yet here we are with the same old things are grandparents drove, that use gas. Oh well, the truck looks good though and if I get in a car accident, I am more out to live then that little car that gets 40 MPG. Kind of a morbid thought, but I think about that a lot and kind of like my big truck, just hate the mileage. So it might be a boring subject, but I am curious. What do you drive and what kind of mileage are you getting?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I drive an '04 Mustang GT Anniversary Special. It get's about 18mpg. You'd think Ford could do better, even with a big-block... but... I get it at the pump every couple days... ouch.

Jean

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

The most disappointing mileage I ever got was in a 2001 Dodge Durango. 12 in the city, 14 on the Hwy - on a good day.

The best use of gas I ever had was my 1969 Dodge Charger - 383 big block, Hurst pistol grip shifter - nice!

The reason we still use gas is because the oil companies are powerful enough to quash any and all efforts to bring alternative fuels to the market. As long as they see a future in making $$, we'll use gas.....

• bebu
    bebu

Have you considered making biodiesel? We are nearly finished setting up a processing system in our basement. Free used vegetable oil (from fryers) get processed into diesel.

You would have to have space enough, usually in a building outdoors. My husband and I are looking at it as a hobby, anyway, just to do it (not depend on it). It's a bit of a commitment, but if you can do it, you might be glad at how cheaply you can run your truck.

Maybe if you find someone who's already got a processor, you could bring in you own oil (that you collect), and pay him some $ to use his stuff.

To answer your questions: I'm driving a 2000 VW Jetta TDI (this is the diesel vehicle) and a 1998 Ford Windstar (that is apparently synchronized to fall apart electrically after 8 years). We bought both of them based primarily on safety features; but the VW because of mileage, and the van because of family seating and towing a camper (a 3.8 liter engine).

bebu

• free2beme
    free2beme

These Hybrids that everyone talks about and think will solve all the problems, are a joke! You pay so much for the car that it takes years before you notice the gas savings and in all reality, you wont have the same power your used to with a gas engine. I have drove them, and each time I was not that impressed. Although, why can't we improve gas mileage? I think you might be right about the gas companies. Remember when Diesel was cheaper then regular? What happened there?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Our dodge van died the xmas eve, and our pontiac just went to the great car heap in the sky on Friday. We went out and got a 2000 Durango..because we needed something to hold 8 people and occaisionally haul stuff too. I felt really wierd about it, since it only gets 20MPG on the highway...but it is hard to get something that meets all your needs and can carry so many at once. My husband says 20 mpg is good for a V8...(he has wanted a V8 for a while).

I have my little bicycle for my short errands. That gets about 5 mpg on M&Ms. Very affordable. =)

This week I am going to look at an 87 mercedes diesel...some guy is selling really cheap, and I have always wanted to try the waste veggie oil thing. I know a few peeps that do it on just one tank instead of using those 2 tank systems. We will see.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I drive a VW TDI. It's a desiel engine and i get about 45mpg. I am considering switching to biodesiel, it's renewable and i could make it after some investment in materials. Also rumor has it that several commerical biodesiel pumps should be open in my area soon.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Doesn't it amaze you, that in this day and age, we do not have vehicles that run on something other then gas?

I think there is some choice now.

Biodiesel, Biogas, LPG, hydrogen, more will come as oil prices will rice even more. O yeah, I got a diesel, drive 17 a 18. (that is in standard units, kilometer/liter)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I drive a 98 Ford Taurus.

24 city, 27 hwy, (but deduct 3 or 4, because I really slam into that gas pedal)

• rebel8
    rebel8

That's a nice field service car, Richie!

Doesn't it amaze you, that in this day and age, we do not have vehicles that run on something other then gas?

Yes!! I can_not_believe we have no viable alternatives!

Supposedly there is a way to convert your car to running on vegetable oil. A guy did it locally and it cost him about $300 (with him doing the labor himself). He gets used oil from Chinese restaurants. They are supposedly happy to give it for free b/c otherwise they'd have to pay someone to dispose of it. He says it smells like french fries when he runs his car. It wouldn't be worthwhile to do it if you had to buy oil b/c it costs more than gas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit