I am a milieage victim!

by free2beme 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    That's a nice field service car, Richie!

Thats exactly why I got the car, instead of a truck.

however, as I was telling my mother, I've had the car for almost 2 years, and not once have I taken it out in service. However, I have put about 6 deer in it at various times...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

1 ton Dodge/diesel. Best mileage was 21.2, this was on the highway keeping it to 60-65. When I drive 70-80 I get about 19mpg. Let yours break in good. Mine got 14.5 mpg recently while towing a trailer with another pickup loaded on it.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I drive a Subaru Forrester, gets me pretty good mileage although I don't know the stats exactly.

These Hybrids that everyone talks about and think will solve all the problems, are a joke! You pay so much for the car that it takes years before you notice the gas savings and in all reality, you wont have the same power your used to with a gas engine.

The point of hybrids is not only the gas mileage (although its getting perverted more and more into that aspect) but the emissions. What damage hybrids do to the environment is smaller than what totally combustion engines do to it. Thus many people buy them not only for the mileage, but because they like the planet.

Sherry

• LDH
    LDH

2002 Mitsubishi Montero-

20+ in the city and around 25 on the highway. I do not drive aggressively! I keep it at 70 on the highway and no crazy driving.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

We drive a 1995 Nissan pickup. 5 speed. It has never gotten below 18mpg city! I've gotten 23 out of it. It handles most of our hauling needs - minimal. So I feel really good about using it.

I've looked hard at the hybrids. I agree, too expensive. Yet, $$$ need to be spent to purchase and further alternative fuels.

I've also looked at the diesel beetle. A friend of ours bought one and gets 52mpg! Convert to biodiesel, and you've got an efficient, reduced fossil-fuel vehicle. Now... I'd love to see a similarly small vehicle with a small bio-fuel engine as a hybrid! Triple goodness! Make it a convertable and... well... sold.

Note: Bio-diesel has a % of fossil diesel in it. Bio-fuel, on the otherhand, is usually 100% veg oil. And the extractives used to make vegetable oil are damaging to rubber and plastic parts. In cold country, a fuel pre-heater is necessary for biodiesel to liquify it and bring it up to a combustable temp.

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, this thread is entirely too green and responsible to be about CARS!

I will report that my hobby car is one of the last 1995 ZR1 Corvettes. It has 405hp and a top speed of 180+ mph.

I take it out on occasional weekends and one road trip a year. I can report that on my last trip it returned about 26 mpg. This was with the secondary fuel injection turned off (it has a power key for this) and running in 6th overdrive at about 75 - 80 mph.

It goes down to about 18-20 mpg driven they way most Corvette owners drive - still not so horrible in my books.

James

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, this thread is entirely too green and responsible to be about CARS!

I will report that my hobby car is one of the last 1995 ZR1 Corvettes. It has 405hp and a top speed of 180+ mph.

I take it out on occasional weekends and one road trip a year. I can report that on my last trip it returned about 26 mpg. This was with the secondary fuel injection turned off (it has a power key for this) and running in 6th overdrive at about 75 - 80 mph.

It goes down to about 18-20 mpg driven they way most Corvette owners drive - still not so horrible in my books.

James

• wednesday
    wednesday

we switched to Honda and toyato several years ago. I have few break dows and get fairly decent mileage.

the vegetable oil gas sounds inteesting, but if it became popular, you would have to pay for oil and that is high. Also, I'am waiting for those chinese places to start charging for their oil. Someone will figure out how to make a buck off it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit