Yankee Stadium? Not again!

by truthsetsonefree 18 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Word has it in New York City that the cozy days at Nassau Colisseum are over. (For those of you unfamiliar with New York, the district conventions have been held at an indoor colisseum for for several years now. Prior to that New yorkers were forced into sitting for 3+ days in a hot, humid, sometimes rainy OUTDOOR stadium.) Now with the Society's money problems it looks like it's back to Yankee. Tentatively that is. The convention may not even be in New York at all. I guess it's just another 'sign of the times' for Watchtower.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No no no... the WTS is not having financial difficulties! This is just further "simplification"! Think about it... a building with NO roof is far simpler than a building WITH a roof!

• one
    one

In the good old days around 1958 Wt managed to bring moren than a quater million jw and interested peson to the yankee stadiium, for an 8 DAys convention..

At that time jw were less than a million worldwide...

today with more than 6 million jw, the WT would not be able to bring that many people to yankee stadium, for several reasons, not even it they swear the END is coming in six month.

The WT has become more cellular, no choice, forget about impressive conventions. .

• serendipity
    serendipity

JW's should vote with their feet. The cost of renting the facility is covered by donations, so why would the WTS care how much it costs? Oh, I forgot, they have to get their share of the donations and it's less likely if the expenses are high.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Now with the Society's money problems it looks like it's back to Yankee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the move to cheaper venues is a sign of money problems. The WT's largest cash cows are conventions and assemblies. They more than break even. Usually, the local governments cut the WT a deal and let them rent the building for practically nothing (since all the good little dubbies fill local hotels, restaurants, etc).

Likely, Nassau didn't want to cut them a deal. Shocked that Steinbrenner would though.

silent

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Lets just hope the Yankees are playing! LOL

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

They say it's tentative. Steinbrenner may still turn them down. Then I guess it's Shea, Philly or Virginia.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Wherever they have it one thing is sure.... I will not be attending.

• Funchback
    Funchback

The thing that sucks about Nassau Colliseum is the space (or, lack thereof). The rows are soooo narrow and the seats are uncomfortable. Even though I hated the outdoor conventions (and I spent most of my convention life at The Vet in Philly...Hell on earth), going to the Nassau Colliseum was always taxing on my knees.

Ah! But I have a funny memory of Nassau: One year I was seated behind a family consisting of a father that looked like Hitler and Moe (from the Three Stooges), a wife that looked like she was from the Leave it to Beaver era, and a daughter that was somewhere between autistic and retarded. She was very, very active and she was crosseyed. Oh, and her parents would dress her up is some ultra-corny Little House on the Prarie outfit. Each time we had to stand and sing, the little girl would plant firm kisses square in the crack of her daddy's ass!

Even funnier, somehow we ended up behind them again the following year.

• Undecided
    Undecided

For a young country hick, those 8 day conventions in NY were great. We could look for girls all day for a week. I found my first wife there, she was from NM. We went back in 1958, a year after we were married. I just remember the good times I had, try to forget working in the cleaning dept.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit