"Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon", documented...

by one 25 Replies latest jw friends

• one
    one

"Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon"

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

The writer includes a lot of technical and financial information, slow reading is required.

I need re-read his arguments dismissing alternative energy sources, I may have to agree that many products can only be manufactured using oil.

BUT transportation uses 2/3 of the oil, so signifcantly reducing such demand, oil may last much longer.

Hydrogen can be used to reduce such demand for oil,

BUT again, energy is required to produce hydrogen, where it may come from? (that's the challenge), nuclear power plants (if there is no problem getting uranium), wave energy, wind energy etc.

The problem is well known for at least 4 decades. I can't beleive coutries such as USA, France etc are so stupid not having a plan B,

during the mean time letting oil companies reap the benefits.

Did you know that most electric energy produced in those countries mentioned, come from NUCLEAR power plants.?

BTW imho, part of the usa plan B is/was making the moon a usa territory, where it is said there are tremendous sources of concentrated energy in the form of helium3...,

Can you think of any other reason for going up there at such a cost?

man, hydrogen is too easy to produce, hold its practical applications. (how much do you want for your invention and shut up?) .

The key to supremacy is controlling the source of energy.(did I say go to Irak first?)

Anyway, the bad news is spreading. Oil stock prices increased dramatically during 2005,

On the other hand, 'when uncertain, the uncetain buys gold', gold price is at a 25 year high, $547 an ounce.

More on the subject,

TIME maganize

http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1122019,00.html

Oct. 31, 2005

"It's the End of Oil World oil production is about to reach a peak and go into its final decline.

For years, a handful of petroleum geologists, including me, have been predicting peak oil before 2007, but in an era of cheap oil, few people listened.

Lately, several major oil companies seem to have got the message. One of Chevron's ads says the world is currently burning 2 bbl. of oil for every barrel of new oil discovered. ExxonMobil says 1987 was the last year that we found more oil worldwide than we burned."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Previous post in more readable format

"Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon"
    http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
    The writer includes a lot of technical and financial information, slow reading is required.
    I need re-read his arguments dismissing alternative energy sources, I may have to agree that many products can only be manufactured using oil. BUT transportation uses 2/3 of the oil, so signifcantly reducing such demand, oil may last much longer. Hydrogen can be used to reduce such demand for oil,
    BUT again, energy is required to produce hydrogen, where it may come from? (that's the challenge), nuclear power plants (if there is no problem getting uranium), wave energy, wind energy etc.

The problem is well known for at least 4 decades. I can't beleive coutries such as USA, France etc are so stupid not having a plan B, during the mean time letting oil companies reap the benefits. Did you know that most electric energy produced in those countries mentioned, come from NUCLEAR power plants.?

BTW imho, part of the usa plan B is/was making the moon a usa territory, where it is said there are tremendous sources of concentrated energy in the form of helium3..., Can you think of any other reason for going up there at such a cost? man, hydrogen is too easy to produce, hold its practical applications. (how much do you want for your invention and shut up?) .

The key to supremacy is controlling the source of energy.(Did I say go to Iraq first?) A nyway, the bad news is spreading. Oil stock prices increased dramatically during 2005, On the other hand, 'when uncertain, the uncertain buys gold', gold price is at a 25 year high, $547 an ounce. More on the subject, TIME maganize http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1122019,00.html Oct. 31, 2005 "It's the End of Oil World oil production is about to reach a peak and go into its final decline.

For years, a handful of petroleum geologists, including me, have been predicting peak oil before 2007, but in an era of cheap oil, few people listened. Lately, several major oil companies seem to have got the message. One of Chevron's ads says the world is currently burning 2 bbl. of oil for every barrel of new oil discovered. ExxonMobil says 1987 was the last year that we found more oil worldwide than we burned."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Seen this before - called Peak Oil theory - Malthusian in its outlook. Never forget, necessity is the mother of invention

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There will always be prophets of doom and with the exception of me, they will all be wrong.

One said,

Hydrogen can be used to reduce such demand for oil,

but then - as you pointed out - there are NO HYDROGEN MINES. HYDROGEN cannot be found in abundance in the free state (H2) anywhere on earth. Getting free hydrogen from anything that contains combined hydrogen requires ENERGY. Too much energy to make it economical - unless the energy was FREE, and if you had a source of free energy, why waste it to break hydrogen free?

As for the end of civilization, it will come when the earth resumes the tectonic hyperactivity that brought the end of the Permian. God will have nothing to do with it, and seismologists will be caught with their shorts down. Be warned. I have spoken.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

or when the volcano in Yellowstone National Park Blows

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

In the 1880s scientists were declaring a different sort of environmental disaster looming on the horizon.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE: Major U.S. cities were frantically planning what to do with the buildup of horse shi...that is to say, manure. in city streets of bustiling metropolises the production of manure was rapidly outstripping the means to remove and dispose of it.

They didn't know the car was about to become popular.

Couldn't have said it better myself, stillajwexelder.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

;) welcome to economic reality! According to economic theory, oil will never run out, just get too expensive for most people. How to protect yourself: move closer to where you work, get some fuel-efficient transport, start buying solar panels while they're still cheap, learn how to grow potatoes, accept that high-bulk products such as toilet paper and cornflakes might become a luxury, lobby for rail infrastructure.... or just die young.

Civilisation will adapt, but it will be a different world to the one we know. Our century will be considered a bit of a 'dark age' in terms of energy consumption.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i am skeptical of peak oil and other end of the world hypotheses. perhaps i am just tired of worrying about it after 27 years of being a JW.

if peak oil does come, and civilization does collapse etc etc, (sigh), i guess i will just deal with it then.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    Civilisation will adapt, but it will be a different world to the one we know

That is actually the point made in "Life After The Oil Crash". One of the differences is casused by the DIE OFF when the world's population collapses from 6B to 600M. Here are a few excerpts I find interesting ;

While many scientists have not reached agreement about the exact date that world oil production will peak, the degree of consensus among them is quite remarkable. Most agree that the Peak will happen sometime before 2010.

It is not a question if but when the world economy will be confronted with a major shock that will stunt economic growth, increase inflation, and potentially destabilize the Middle East. It will make the Great Second Depression look like a dress rehearsal.

The Iraq war is not hard to understand. It wasn’t an attempt to steal Iraq’s oil. If that was the case, it would have been an uneconomic venture spending hundreds of billions of dollars occupying the place, not to mention the lives lost. It was not a matter of stealing the oil; it simply was a desperate attempt to retain access to it. It was an attempt to stabilize the region of the world that holds two-thirds of the remaining oil, namely, the Middle East

• skyman
    skyman

I have been running around in circles trying to fins a place to hide. I am so scarred

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit