Circuit Overseer Celebrities?

by Delboy222 51 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Have to chime in about the complaining little CO biatches. I've been going to a spanish speaking congregation in N. Florida and well, there are LOTS of little children.

CO gets there and the first thing he does is complain loudly from the podium about the kids. He berates the Moms, (most of whom are there alone, no Dads) for not picking them all up and taking them outside (in the rain and the cold, literally) at the first hint of noise. He reminds the women that "this is God's house" although I have no idea what he meant by that since Jesus seemed to like children. Keep in mind that we are NOT talking about toddlers running around or screaming, he was complaining that BABIES cried once or twice before Mom shushed them.

His next "important message" was directed at the young men of the congregation whom he berated for wearing "trendy" clothes. Their error was to wear ties that matched their shirts.

He has since been replaced or moved up the ladder.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I have known quite a few "celebs" that pretended to be "servants of the true god of the WTS" and have seen how many treated the peons in their entourage, quite like the Bishops and Cardinals they always sneered at the Catholics for bowing down to.

I have lost all love for the truth, and the Jehovah of the JW bible.

I am trying to keep the love for Jesus, for he showed great qualities

I could not have said this better.

Annie

• OtisBarker
    OtisBarker

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see that JWs, or former JWs, really do have an excellent sense of humor. Gads...if we can't laugh about the superficiality of the servant arrangement, what can we laugh about? I was immediately drawn to this thread for reasons I won't go into now...but I haven't stopped laughing since I began reading the first post. I thought this thread would make a nice first post on the site.

It's amazing how names from the past re-surface every now and then. It really is a small world. The society's reps change much over the years. I believe the "professional" life-expectancy of a CO is less than 10 years. And without any retirement funding...what is one to do? LOL...most are probably now enjoying something akin to Florida sunshine, selling timeshares, sharing a few special moments with a close-knit circle of friends with sapphire & tonics in hand, and auxiliary-pioneering when opportunity presents (...and when the checks come in). Not much different from y'all.

A close friend who remains "in the work" stopped by recently and I grilled him on the CO school in Patterson. I wondered if what was discussed was disseminated down to the local KM schools, but he was a little less than forthcoming. My impression was that this gilead-like affair was a precursor to the nonsense the elders are now being handed courtesy of the GB (or whomever is 'in charge' now), but Bro CO was just not going to be pressed.

I just wanted to take advantage of an opportunity to chime-in in an area that brings back many fond memories. As is typical of farmers from Iowa, sons of military men, plumbers, long-term pioneers, Bethelites, carpenters, former priests, etc, etc,...the COs have a perspective on "special treatment" as well...and it's usually pretty amusing. I am enjoying hearing your perspectives. Tell me more!

God Bless,
    OB

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi otis, welcome to the forum!

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Here's my take. And I will admit, I knew some very kind, loving CO's, but as another poster shared, this was back in the 70's/80's. I've also known some very gruff, "Your congregation sucks" kinda guys. Everyone made sure they were first on the list for dinner, lunch, breakfast, midmorning snack - whatever could get the 'blessing of Jehovah' on your house by feeding the guy.

Here's why I think people became so excited. You spend all year hearing from the local elders, MS, etc the SAME OLD MESSAGE, same talk styles, etc. Honestly, we all know that many local brothers are poor speakers who can't put together a coherent meeting part to save their life. Now, the CO comes to town. Usually (not always) they were very good speakers and you always felt that, even though it was the same message, it had some sort of authority, because this guy was one step removed from the GB. This was the GB's representative to you. This is the guy who validated everything you did during the 6 months between his visits, because he came from the top and assured you that the work was progressing, that Jehovah was happy. That's why if he hammered your congregation, then the elders took it out on the publishers because the CO's disapproval was like Jehovah telling you that you had been naughty becuase your cong average was only 9.8 hours instead of 10.1 like the last cong he was in.

I don't know. Plus the average JW life is so boring that ANY reason to get excited is a good one.....

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Welcome, Otis! Please stick around and tell us your story!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Welcome otis

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Otis, on this board be very selective with info or else the GB will narrow you down. try not to post your location or maybe you want to leave the org?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    CO gets there and the first thing he does is complain loudly from the podium about the kids. He berates the Moms, (most of whom are there alone, no Dads) for not picking them all up and taking them outside (in the rain and the cold, literally) at the first hint of noise. He reminds the women that "this is God's house" although I have no idea what he meant by that since Jesus seemed to like children.

I've had plenty of similiar problems

• slugga
    slugga

Re the way some treat CO's like celebs and suck up to them...

I was just going through some old treads and found this juicy morsel !

My mum recently grassed me in to the elders. The C.O. to be precise. She told him that she knew I was being immoral, I think she said that I had confessed it to her. Then she told me what she had done. I was stunned.

Now this was from someone that had faded away and had absolutely no plans to go back. The Mum obviously knew the consequences for her son and knew that he wouldn't repent but was obviously so hyped up about seeing the CO she decided to sacrifice her son to him!!!

Wow !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit