Do Black people have a monopoly on rhythm?

by LDH 23 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

OK I will admit to creating a horrible thread title just to get you to look!

Of course black people don't have a monopoly on rhythm.

I just wanted to brag (a little late but still) that my daughter's high school won the Percussion High Honors trophy at Western Band Championships in November in Long Beach. They were undefeated for the season. (kind of like a 13-0 season in football, but think percussion). So I am the proud parent of a State Champion.

Here are some pictures I want to share.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/fresnolisa99/990762c3.jpg (She is third from the right in this pic)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/fresnolisa99/fa97933f.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/fresnolisa99/perc_wga_1112.jpg I guess you can tell which one is her in the last two! She is the first girl in 28 years to play snare drum for her school, and she is section leader.

I still think she would've been better off spending all that time selling magazines!

You guys tell me if it works and you can see the pics.

Lisa

Proud Mother Class

1. mrsjones5
      mrsjones5

Oh heck no! I so love watching people of all colors who have rhythm - especially white boys.

Congratulations to your daughter and her band!

Josie

2. Funchback
      Funchback

Mixed people have the monopoly on everything!

Great photos!!!

Congratulations to your daughter (and her proud parents).

3. AlmostAtheist
      AlmostAtheist
      I still think she would've been better off spending all that time selling magazines!

Oh I couldn't agree more. She looks so disconsolate. You can see the lost, searching soul behind that happy, smiling face, can't you?

So sad, to see a young person throwing her life away in participatory activities, enriching herself with music, enjoying her youth. Alas...

(Congrats!)

Dave

4. LDH
      LDH

LOL @ Funch.

Yes Dave, you're right. It's so sad to see her PRETENDING to be happy, when we all know she should be serving Jehovah in her Youth! TM

5. Billygoat
      Billygoat

Lisa,

Your daughter is an absolute DOLL! And how much fun it must be for her to be working with all those adorable boys banging away on those instruments. If I were her, I'd be in heaven.

Love ya,

Andi

PS: How old is the baby now? Three? Four? I remember when you were preggers with that one!

6. prophecor
      prophecor

Wonderful thing you're doing LDH, and your daughter I'm certain is having the time of her life expressing herself musically, in a positive setting amongst her peers. It will come to mean the world to her in her continuing to mature into adulthood.

7. Jankyn
      Jankyn

Yeah, Lisa, way to use a provocative post title to get us to oooh and ahhh over your offspring! She's a real winner.

Gosh, it's so nice to see a kid using her talent and having fun. I don't even want to tarnish the joyful smile by imagining her in frumpy clothing going door-to-door weighted down with a book bag. Arrgh!

*Happy thoughts, happy thoughts*

As for the question posed in the post: No, I don't think Black people have a monopoly on rhythm. I know some African American JWs who can neither sing nor dance. I think people with free souls have better rhythm, though, because they're more in tune with joy. Heaven knows I dance better know that I'm a free spirit! (Of course, that's not saying much. Better than bad is still not great. )

Great kid, Lisa.

Jankyn

8. LDH
      LDH
      I know some African American JWs who can neither sing nor dance

That's what happens when you listen to too many KingDumb Melodies.

LOL

9. prophecor
      prophecor
      I know some African American JWs who can neither sing nor dance

And contrary to popular opinion, we all can't play basketball, either

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit