Did a lot of your health problems clear up after you left the JW?

by Check_Your_Premises 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I notice that so many at the hall have these vague, chronic diseases or afflictions that make it hard for them to go to all the meetings or out in regular service. Some get all sorts of sinus problems. Others have chronic fatigue.

Did these clear up after you left, indicating that in many instances these were psychosomatic?

CYP

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I don't know if they were psychosomatic, but my terrible headaches and stomach pain definitely were caused by stress, and cleared up when that heavy burden of meetings, talks and service was off my shoulders. Oh, and the requirement to be the perfect example at all times to the other "youthful lovers of Jepoobah."

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I have spent all of my youth and teenage years being asocial, extremely timid, to the point where I would get rashes and shake before talks and would be close to tears everytime I had to speak in front of one or more persons. I could not meet the eyes of anyone talking to me, and could barely get in a conversation at all. I was very closed up. No self-esteem.

Since I've left, everyone has noticed the changes, I even see JWs that knew me as a young adult and don't know that I've DAed, and when they talk to me, they just can't beleive how much more articulate I've become. It takes all my will not to tell them something like "Yeah, coming out of a high pressure cult makes that to someone."

• skyman
    skyman

Did for my wife. She was always run down but not anylonger. She can not believe the difference in how she feels.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

No, mine became worse. Chronic even.

It wasn't until 12 years later that I began to understand my hypochondria was related to believing death was 'just around the corner'.

steve

• slugga
    slugga

Wow thought this one said "Did a lot of your health problems clear up after you left the JW?" by "Check you're Penises" I thought it was gonna be about some sluttly CO's wife lol

I need Glasses

Matt

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Nope, sorry.

Wish I would have thought that one up though. Bummer. That sounds like it would be a pretty interesting thread. Much more interesting than mine.

CYP

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

My drinking cleared up a lot when I left.

Matt

• Honesty
    Honesty
    It takes all my will not to tell them something like "Yeah, coming out of a high pressure cult makes that to someone." Lilycurly

I go out of my way to tell them that's the reason my health has improved so much in the past year.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Matt needs new glasses and a new kilt, hahaha! Sorry! teehee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit