Here's why...

by RichieRich 47 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I recieve many PMs, emails, and more recently, many thread replies which ask me a simple question.

Why are you disassociating yourself? Why not just fade?

Well, here's why.

My mother, and her mother, are in the "truth". My mother married my father during an inactive period in her life which lasted about a year. My father is not in the truth.

My mother is a very strong person. She can convince anyone of anything, and those who won't listen will just get browbeaten until they do. My mother is also easily convinced. If the Society told her to walk on her hands, it would only be minutes before the calluses would start to form. My mother rants. and she raves. Sometimes (often), she says things she doesn't mean / doesn't mean to say. I love my mother.

My father, although a very physically intimidating man, is a pushover. He's not soft. Not weak either. Just a peacelover. He just would rather yield to my mother than fight against her.

For those reasons, I was raised an active Witness all my life. All 17 years, 8 months, and whocareshowmany days have been full of field service, meetings, conventions, and assemblies. I've grown up my whole life with mostly the same set of friends ( at the hall that is). I've had my share of ups and downs within the org, and have watched these "friends" dance in and out of association with me.

A good portion of my childhood was spent sitting in a chair opposite my mother, listening to her regurgitate Bible rhetoric to me. Then she would go off the steepest slippery slopes, and across the wildest tangents. I would break down to tears as she repeated one point, time and time again, merely rephrasing herself each time. What was bad was when I done nothing, and she was just upset in general. Thats when the hurtful comments are made. But thats also when the truth comes out.

I can see in my mother's eyes how much contempt she has for the "world", and for those who don't wholely base their lives upon WTBTS teaching. Sometimes, I wonder if the only reason she's still with her worldly husband is because Jehovah wouldn't want her to leave him.

When I was around 15, brothers in the congregation started subtly bringing up the topic of baptism in discussion. Then, when I told my mother, she'd spend hours telling me what a protection it was, and what a joy. At all the assemblies/ conventions she would make sure that our seats were literally one row behind the rows of baptism candidates. Then, people would walk up, and congratulate me on getting baptized, forcing me into an awlward postion having to tell them I wasn't getting baptized "this time". Whats worse is this only made my mother think she was doing what was right. It's not her fault, but she caused it.

Then, in the spring that I turned 16, I decided that although I wanted to leave the truth, it would be awkward for me to get much older without being baptized.

So, I did it. I told the elders that I wanted to get baptized. Mom told the world. We went over the questions, and then it came. July 17,2004. The day of my baptism. While the brother gave the talk, I sat there and opened my notebook. I began to form a letter to the elder body, which I planned to give them the day I turned 18.

this way:

• I can walk away from the Truth. for good
    • My mother won't be able to discuss any spiritual matters with me ( no ranting), if she chooses to talk to me at all.
    • All the people who know me through the congegation will be forced to take a stand either with or against me. I know that most, if not all will stand against me. But it will show who my real friends are.
    • This will also show them that I'm out. I'm not going to humor them, and continue to play along, or sneak around in order to stay sane.
    • When you fade, you still play their game. DAing myself will be me standing, and breaking the chains, and leaving.

My disassociation letter also nullifies my baptism. I was a minor when I entered that contract, and as an adult, I'll be able to withdraw that. Regardless of whether or not it works, I also ask to not be harassed. I back this by threatening to sue each elder individually if they do so. In my letter, I list each elder's full name, spouse name, childrens names, and home address. Just so they know, I'm not playing around.

I hope this, although lenghty, has shed some light on my choices, and explained somethings which I might have neglected to mention in the past.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Are you going to hand in the letter of disass/ as soon as you turn 18 or wait for a couple of years? I think you are doing the right thing, in fact I chose to do the same, better be upfront with this org.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

(((((richie)))))

you're a very brave man and very intelligent for your age. i wish i had your courage. i wasn't able to stand up to my mother until i was 20 years old....and she still scares me.

you do what you need to feel happy. i hope everything goes well with you.

even if you lose your physical family, you still have us.

luv, jojo

• Confession
    Confession

You're a heck of a guy, Richie. I applaud your courage and unemotional, rational conclusions.

I have thought a lot about DAing myself, and may do that one day. My primary reason for not doing so is the idea that, while not being shunned, there is the chance that I may be able to speak to one of my family members about what I've discovered. Although this is not likely to have any immediate effect, it is possible that it may have an effect on them eventually.

It seems unlikely that I will remain in this limbo for very long. At some point I'll surely have to lay all the cards on the table and speak the truth. And if any elders begin to snoop around, I'll happily turn in my DA letter to them--and as many active JWs as I can find.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

WOW Richie,

I can tell that you certainly have thought all of this out. This is something you need to do for YOURSELF and only you will know if it’s the right decision.

Have you thought about what your father will do when you leave the org. How he will respond to your moms’ reaction?

It’s never easy to knowingly go against your parents…. Especially when you love them, which I can tell you do. I feel the same way regarding my mother. I don’t really blame her for her actions and the last thing I want to do is hurt her. However if this organization forces ME to DA someday (because of other family circumstances) I will. I know it would break her heart, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, and for once think of yourself.

• carla
    carla

Wow! I admire your courage and conviction Richie. I say hats off to you! I cannot even comprehend being in the situation you are in just about to turn 18. I'm just sorry the situation even has to exist. In my thoughts, carla

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Disassing myself was the best thing I ever did Rich. You won't regret it dude.

GBL

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Richie:

I admire your ability to speak whats on your mind in a mature manner, your knowing what you want out of life, your humor and your thoughtfulness when it comes to your mother. I don't post very often, but I've read most everything you've posted on. Good luck to you. Hopefully your mother will appreciate your honesty and respect you for your own decisions in life. You seem to be a great young man & I see alot for you in your future.

SK

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Honey, I am proud of you no matter what.

I wish I had your strength. Plus, there is no need to explain what you do to anyone. People have their own opinions and ideas and reasons for what they do. Good for you on choosing what is best for you!

Brookie

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

I wish I had your clarity at that age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit