"Witlesses", "JDumbs", other labels.. How do you feel about them?

by AlmostAtheist 54 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Once we allow ourselves to refer to people by a label, we automatically change them from an individual to a member of a group. We can much more easily hate a group, than an individual.

Nice comment, Dave. I do agree with that thought. .......Personally i will use organizational terms like dubs, or 'the Borg' because they only relate to that organization, not people.

Terms that relate to God's name still rankle with me .. It just doesn't seem right.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Dave,

Great question - I must admit, I am offended when I hear phrases like those described above used in posts. Perhaps my sensitivity is heightened due to my racial heritage - but I was also turned off by witnesses who engaged in the same "worldly bashing."

• Genesis
    Genesis

Folks, you made me laught hard, you put a smile on my face for the rest of day ! I love you all :D Genesis ps: Sorry for disrupting but could someone tell me how to write in paragraphs and fonts ?

• FairMind
    FairMind

I don’t feel that using derogatory labels against any group speaks well for the person using the label. We can tell the truth about the WTS and about what goes on within the JW religion without resorting to the use of derogatory labels. I also believe that JWs who read the posts on this forum are more likely to be open minded about what is posted when a poster doesn’t make them defensive by resorting to derogatory labels.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yeah I think it's pretty immature.

• deeskis
    deeskis

I think that you can despise the way the society has described apostates, or "people of this system" without using derogatory terms when speaking about them. then you're stooping to their level. I also agree with the comments about newbies, or lurkers who may feel intimidated or insulted by some terms.

I think this is a fantastic site to learn, be supported, and support others, and I don't think that being antagonistic is positive. Yes I can ROFLMAO at times, but I've been out for over 20 years.

Whether we believe in the bible or not, I feel that the edict "do unto others, as you would have done to you" is a good living standard.

Best wishes to all

D

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I agree with other posters - that they 'enjoy' the derogatory labels - makes them feel 'apart from the World'.

The only 'labels' I was aware of (prior to this site), were 'God Squad', 'God-Botherers' and 'Bible Thumpers'

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Intersting point.

Typically speaking one does not coose one's skin colour, sexual oriontation, social origin or country of origin. This means a referential or form of address based on that is 'unfair'.

Obviously a JW can be born into the cult. But they can also leave. You can't stop being black, gay, or Irish.

Thus Organisational slams like;

• bOrg
    • Jehovah's Witlesses
    • Fetid Deoderant Salve
    • KingDum Whore/Hall

... are fine, just as 'neo-nazis' is a perfectly proper form of reference where applicable. Damaging, wrong and corrupt institutions deserve to be referred to as such. Just because more people think JW's are 'mostly harmless' than think neo-nazis are 'mostly harmless' doesn't mean JW's don't waste lives, lie and do harm.

'Hey, Witless!', 'Oi! JeHovis' (Hovis is a brand of bread in the UK) et. al. are direct forms of address for individuals.

I tend not to use them for individuals unless they piss me off, in which case *shrugs* it's not a major moral quandry for me. I have a potty mouth maybe, but who care's what comes out of the mouth of someone like me?

As JW's use JayDub themsleves, we can too.

'Dubbie' is a diminutive of this. If someone doesn't like it they should argue with the English language and how it forms diminutives.

God, in Dutch EVERYTHING can be a diminutive; de oliphant -> het oliphantje, de man-> het manchje (not to sure about the spelling of the last - the diminutive tage is '+je' or '+chje' phonetically speaking, and varies according to the word).

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I think it is okay to use things like dubs, whitless etc, for the group of people. Because they have the choice to join or leave the group.
    It stands for the lies and pain that they have caused us. It is more directed at the organisation then at the persons in it, IMHO.
    And those names aren't to harsh, they tell more of a pity for the persons then hate.

I've also no problems with name calling for the GB.

But as for individuals I think we should not do this too much. There are a lot of wonderfull, kind, righteous and friendly witnesses.
    (with exceptions here of course, as some brothers/sisters deserve it).

p.s. Abbadon, you should fresh-up your dutch a bit

God, in Dutch EVERYTHING can be a diminutive; de oliphant -> het oliphantje, de man-> het manchje (not to sure about the spelling of the last - the diminutive tage is '+je' or '+chje' phonetically speaking, and varies according to the word).

It is olifant -> olifantje. man -> mannetje (there are some rules for it)
    And other languages have it too, spanish -ito), italian etc.

DB

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    If anybody has a problem with that, I'll stab them and steal shit from them while listening to very loud music on my stolen boom box.

Oh wait, I'm not that kind of Puerto Rican, I have never been to New York, bitches!

ROFLMAO!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit