Anyone want to try an experiment?

by Lady Lee 76 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

response #1: "sorry sandy but I really don't have an opinion on them per se...... each to their own."

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    I hate to break the bubble for the JWs but my perspective on them, and that of most people that I know, is that they are a bit nuts.

Some of them may be very nice, and possibly even intelligent, while others are obviously truly obnoxious. But the traits and characteristics of any individuals aside, I find their beliefs way off base. I most assuredly do NOT see them as a beacon of light or hope or morality! I see them as sadly misguided.

For the record I do believe in God and Jesus Christ and practice my Christianity within the Roman Catholic Church.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

These are all so great.They conform everything we already know. And it is so great that all these people have an attitude of NO WAY.

Even though most of them know very little about the JWs they are clearly not interested.

Hey I hope the WTS lurkers who visit the board are paying attention. I'm sure this is a surprise to you.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Wow, my post generated three pages of responses. Here are some examples.

One of my students is Jehovah's Witness. His parents are really cool and love me to death because I take good care of their child and have taught him since he was 8 years old. now he's like 14 or 15. I'm nowhere near religious, but I keep him out of trouble and he is a rocking guitarist and becoming a good songwriter.
    soul soliciting picg-fuckers.
    amish like people standing at your door. usually a guy and a girl.
    The first thing that comes to mind when someone say Jehovah's witnesses is making out no one is home when they knock on your door.
    Refusal of Blood transfusions (wife work in operating theatre)
    Waste of my time at door and work when they cold call.
    first shot warning, the second is aiming the head.
    Alcoholics.
    I find them annoying. They refuse to stand during the Canadian national anthem. They pretend like they are too good for our country.
    They really make you think about the way you think about religion, freedom of religion, freedom of speech and just freedom in general. They have some compelling views on the way scripture should be interpreted. They hold a scrupulous standard on the issue of non-participation in war. They refused to participate in Nazi crimes during the second world war.
    Bible-thumping, un respecting assholes who think your going to hell if you don't follow god! Christians of the lowest order, as they come to your house to tell you to repent of suffer in enternal hellfire.

here's what kills me....they believe that the number of people going to heaven is limited to precisely 144,000....

so why in the hell are they trying to recruit whoever they can to follow their religion? wouldn't that, by their own beliefs, maybe lessen their chance of getting into heaven?

When I think of Jehovah's Witnesses, I think of a frustrating time that happens at least twice a year, when I'm chillin' in my house not expecting someone, am dressed like a slob if I'm dressed at all, and people want to talk at length when I'm trying to tell them that now is not a good time. They're annoying. They try to sell religion to me more than I've ever tried to sell anything to anyone. And I work in sales!

Pain in the asses
    Cult
    Nut jobs.

Speaking from experience,my in laws are JW. I totally hate that they are, but they really give that religion a bad name. They are total assholes, thinking they are better than everyone else.
    They say that they are the only people that will be resurrected, Funny thing is that when one JW fights with another they report that person to an "Elder" and they are punished by getting kicked out of the congregation.
    I really hate them if I could get rid of all of them, would!!!!
    What I heard last about them is that they don't vote. That was a big shock. And yes they don't believe in blood transfusions. My mother in law died 4 yrs. ago, if she would have agreed to a tranfusion we would have her around today.

Total and complete annoyance.

They have some confusing beliefs. I received a book from a couple of Witnesses a long time ago, and in it, they claim Satan was kicked out of heaven in 1914 and that event sparked the beginning of the First World War.

Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind this thinking?

I despise the Jehovah's Witnesses and consider their organization to be a cult. They took my sister, as well as my two nephews, away from my family. My sister is now a subservient, seemingly brainless robot who is only allowed to do and say what her husband and the Witnesses tell her. I'd rather a person be an atheist than a Jehovah's Witness.

Brainwashed peckerheads. It should be legal to hunt them for sport.
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

With all these negative responses I have to wonder just how the WTS (and our own "scholar") can claim they are so respected?

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness
    Well, to answer your question (as it pertains to dating) I can say that it was a very educational experience, but that had more so to do with the type of person she was as an individual rather than her being a Jehovah's witness. Admittedly, our spiritual beliefs and dating practices came into conflict early on, but she seemed to have reservations about the way that the rest of her congregation seemed to be preaching certain things about life, yet doing things that seemed to be the complete opposite. This, in addition to some other things, (such as what appeared to be the idea of the man being the ultimate authority in the house...although I could be mistaken) caused her to distance herself more and more from her religious ties. In some ways, from what I was able to observe of her congregation, the lifestyle seemed very rigid and not all too openminded. She on the other hand, was a very curious soul who felt the need to look beyond what her elders were trying to tell her. She wanted to just really get out there and live life for herself and experience amny of the things it had to offer, but doing so put her in conflict with the views of her church. When we first started dating, her views and her individual beliefs would often come into conflict and it was almost the reason for our going our separate ways early on in our relationship. As time passed however, she found herself wanting to find her own path. Just part of my experience... Krimson Knight
  • lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

This came back up on the other forum again. Check these posts out....

There are a few posts about cult vs sect then this.....

My younger sister was a JW for a few years (as an adult) and when she was in an argument with my mom one day, she told her that when the end of the world came my sister planned on taking her house! Apparently you get to pick any house you want to live in when it happens...what if some other JW picks the same house? How do you know who got dibs first?

She eventually got shunned by the JW's that is what they do when they just want you to go away now, can you imagine what it would take for that to happen in that environment? Well, I can.

I just heard the other day that my sister now has been baptised mormon, those poor people have no idea what they have taken on!
    I agree with everyone!
    I wish this question was pertaing to Mormons. I'm not one but it would have been interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit