Did you know of any JW elders or JW pioneers that were "racist"?

by booker-t 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• booker-t
    booker-t

I know this might sound like a question from "la-la" land but as a black ex-jws Most of the white JW's that I did have contact with were really nice. I was talking to a Hispanic ex-jws the other day and he was telling me of some of the racist experiences he had as a JW. I did not contradict him but I never experienced racism from Caucasian JW's. I am now wondering how many of those white JW's were putting on an "act" and pretending to be nice to blacks or were they really sincere. I am 40 years old so I am very thick-skinned now so if I hear the "N"-word in your responces it won't offend me. But did you know any "racist" white JW's when you were a JW. Especially elders and pioneers because they were supposed to be our role-models. And also can a JW's be "disfellowshipped" or "disassociated" for openly being a "racist"?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

in all those years never seen any form of discrimination against color (discrimination against gender: yes, descrimination for income: yes, discimination for coming for an 'ímportant family': yes)

They did always mix up quite good. Mixed relations were more common they black-black or black-white mariages in the last ten years.
    I think we can see a lot about them, but most JW's try to life a good life and try to do be racists etc. (of course some will pretend, but we will never know that)

Danny

• IT Support
    IT Support

I was told this story by a Bethel 'heavy' who swore it was true.

It is of Lyman Swingle (was a Governing Body member, now dead) at the dinner table in Brooklyn Bethel: a new black lad was at his table and Swingle asked him, "Pass the salt, boy."

He lad took this as a racial slur and said, "Pardon me, Brother Swingle?"

"Pass the salt, nigger," Swingle replied.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

My congregation shares the KH with a spanish congregation.

Those Spanish folks are some of the nicest people ever. They always pack out their meetings, and some of the sisters are HOT.

But, on several occasions, and from several witnesses, even elders, I've heard very cruel comments regarding the Spanish witnesses doing yard maintanence, etc.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Most JWs I've known are not racists which is not to say that all of us (black, white, etc..) are absolutely without prejudice. I have heard a few JWs (black and white) make inappropriate racial comments though.

• Dune
    Dune

I go to a predominantly black congregation. The area we are living in has more and more whites moving in. This has led some to say things along the lines of "They're taking over" (including elders) and things of that nature.

Last year, an elder made the comment that the jews would sometimes try to cheat you out of your money. I was doing the mics and i could see that most of the people were nodding in agreement, while i was in shock because i thought it was very inappropriate.

Once when i was younger i remember driving with a pioneer sister and she was almost hit by a hispanic guy, she then went on and on about how they were ruining the country and all that other good stuff. I think most of the things i've seen were the day to day prejudice that you see in most people. you know, blacks are lazy, whites are greedy, hispanics are incompetent and all that other stupid stuff that could apply to almost anyone in any race.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Depends on where you go. I've met a few who seemed sorta biased, though they didn't come right out and use the n-word. I attended one cong in North Carolina where there were always two get-togethers: the white one and the black one. I went to the black one because my two best friends were black girls, so I was the token whitey in that crowd. In that cong, the black people were friendly to me, the white ones, not so much.

Later, I attended a very diverse cong in Texas. There, I saw no racism whatsoever- a few mixed couples, lots of friendships between different races and countries of origin.

Generally, the witnesses I knew were no more or less biased than the general population around them.

• skyman
    skyman

Yes my uncle he is one of the biggest racist I know. He can not stand a blck man, indian, mexican. What I hated about this man before he quit talking to me is he would say all the stuff like the rest of the family was in agreement with him. My wife allmost hates the man. Most of us are or were Elders and P.O's in our congergations, we all hated his mouth. But you know (LOL) Jehovah appointed him so who were we to say.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'm sure that some were racists, but I don't recall any that were openly racists. And I've never heard a JW use the N***** word or any other slang racist term.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Wanna see how racist they are?

Get yourself a beautiful, young theocratic black JW girlfriend like I did back in 1992.

My whole congregation began chastising me and her for crossing racial lines.

Her congregation was a lot more understanding and non-judgemental than mine.

My congregation had 2-3 black JW's in it. Her congregation had no white JW's in it.

Not only were the elders and pioneers prejudiced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit