What was your first Apostasy?

by Dune 46 Replies latest jw friends

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

My first around that kind of stuff started with the generation thing like many others. Other suppressed thoughts include.

If what I pray for has to be inline with Jehoobahs will, why pray at all? Wasnt he planning on doing what he willed anyway? Was he just waiting to see if anyone had his back? "Hey God, I got you covered on this. You go ahead and do it."

If we have doctrinal thoughts that differ from the FDS and are then wrong, but later the FDS updates its line of bull and we are then right, did God really want everyone in the dark before?

I know I can come up with more if I think about it.

jsd

• luna2
    luna2

The first "thought crime" that I can remember is wondering why its necessary to record time spent in service and quantities of literature placed. Seem rather contrary for a spiritually-minded organization who's ultimate goal was to please Jehoover...didn't he know how much time was spent in his service? Why were JW's required to be bean counters? I didn't say anything to anybody, though. I knew my thoughts on the subject wouldn't be well received.

Another thing I remember from the early years after baptism is going through the Revelation book for the first time and getting to the part about the two witnesses collapsing or dying or whatever they did and then being re-animated...how this foretold events in WTS history. I sat there staring at the illustration, thinking how completely lame it sounded and how I'd be embarrassed to have to try to explain it to a non-dub.

• Dune
    Dune

I keep seeing things about silent lambs and the dateline thing. I was pretty zealous at the time and refused to watch it. To my surprise i've had elders from several congregations tell me that they watched it.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

On or around 1979, I learned that a respected JW had molested his adopted daughter over the years. He had also drugged and raped his wife's relative. His wife told my family that it was up to Jehovah to disfellowship him, that the elders would not do anything. He later ended up raping his grandson. He was finally disfellowshipped for other reasons, but reinstated when he said he was sorry. Never any news about this in the KH. He died a few years back - left the car running in his garage and went back inside the house & forgot (old age apparantly). Unfortunatley, his wife died with him.

On or around 1985, I leared that my schoolhood friend was molested by her uncle, an elder. The elders made my friend look like she enticed the uncle (and nothing was further from that truth), and did nothing to the uncle. My schoolhood friend is an active JW, and pretty much sticks up for the brood.

My first apostacy happened when I saw Barbara on Dateline.

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

I was about ten years old and couldn't go to my physical education class at my school because of some injury or another, so was trotted off to the school library, which was empty except for the librarian. I was always interested in science, and grabbed a book on human origins. The first page I opened, about half way through the book, had this beautiful color painting of two species of Australopithecines on the African savannah. I suddenly began to desire that world, as opposed to the JW variant of Creationism, to be true.

Of course, it was when I was around thirteen or fourteen, when I found out that Life, HOw Did It Get Here had actually taken Dr. Richard Dawkins' out of context. At that point I knew that the Organization was no divinely directed group, but rather another mundane religious organization with too much power over the lives of those who were too frightened or too complacent to actually research what was being delivered from on high.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Age 7 I asked my Mom, "But how do we KNOW FOR SURE Jehovah is real? With him being invisible and since he never does the miracles anymore, how do we KNOW he's real?

She handed me, "Is the Bible really the word of God?" And I swallowed it, after all it came from my Mom.

Little did I know.

Less Credulously,
    AuldSoul

• skyman
    skyman

first doubt the dinosaurs dieing in the flood.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi rodent boy, welcome to the forum!

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I think I had enough of their pretend christian love and I actually wanted to be more worldly. I wanted girlfriends and possibly sex. When I found better more interesting friends at college I never looked back but at the back of my mind always worried that I would burn.

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

Thanks. Looks like an interesting place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit