Breakthrough with JW mother - Stunning Anti Witness !

by diamondblue1974 40 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I thought I would share this with you as I am still a little bit stunned to say the least.

My mother who is a longstanding JW came to stay over the Christmas period as my uncle had past away and she wanted to be more local to the family, that way she could attend the funeral and provide some support to her remaining brothers and sisters. She lives a considerable distance away from me at this moment in time.

The next thing we touched on was apostasy!

I said that I wasnt prepared to just take what had been suggested at face value from the platform as gospel and had undertaken considerable research into many issues regarding matters people on the inside wouldnt normally get to hear about...i.e child abuse and UN chestnut.

I got onto the child abuse issue with her and showed her the supreme court judgement transcript where the WTBTS actually used the clergy privilege rule to attempt to deny liability for their paedophile elders; she was stunned to say the least. She also wasnt aware the abuse was so prevalent and so to gain some browny points for objectivity I mentioned that all religions are vulnerable but they had a moral if not legal responsibility to deal with this properly.

Bless her she said, 'its almost as though they are trying to protect their image rather than children isnt it?' I had to agree.

I said that my plans were to ask the watchtower some very awkward questions which they might not want to answer and that as a result they might take action against me by calling me an apostate; I reiterated that I had a right to ask such questions and she agreed; I also asked her whether she would refuse to speak to me about such things if they should disfellowship or call me an apostate, she replied that she would form her own opinion about whether or not I was apostate and as such I shouldnt be disfellowshipped for asking questions and nor should I be considered an apostate!

So her Christmas present to me was that I am not an apostate!!! and my Christmas tree was nice!!!!

Happy New Year Everyone...all the best for 2006

DB74

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Very cool! Good reasoning, sounds like you definately made some points with her.

I originally posted to ask you to break up the story into paragraphs but by the time it posted you had done that!

Thanks for sharing, gives hope that others can help their families out of that trap.

Sherry

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Sorry the formatting has gone mental DB74

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Db, that is wonderful news! I hope that you are able to continue anti witnessing to her!

Mostly, I am just happy that not only is she not shunning you, but is not ignoring who you are!

That is wonderful, just wonderful!

(((hugs)))

Happy New Year!

Meagan

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

The way you approached your mother was excellent and she was obviously receptive to your explanations and pointed questions.

Great news, I'm happy for you!

YC

• avishai
    avishai

Very effective. Asking questions and letting them come to the obvious conclusions. Perfect.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Nice work DB, I'm pleased for you, and hey, maybe next year you'll get the camera you wanted too.

• bebu
    bebu

Bravo!! What a Christmas gift! I'm glad that her brain and heart are both engaged, and she understands that the term "apostate" doesn't apply to you. Good for her! Over time, she may be doing a little research herself.

bebu

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Cor - you covered a lot of ground there - Happy New Year !!

• skyman
    skyman

There is hope in this world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit