JW's and the lottery

by cheen 32 Replies latest jw friends

• cheen
    cheen

Anyone hear of or know of any JW's or exJW's who've won a large lottery prize?............I know of one JW who won close to half a million $US dollars and now he's like "Jehovah who?...whos Jehovah?" lol

• Clam
    Clam

Cheen hello and welcome. Doesn't surprise me lol.

If I won the lottery I'd like to share it with my family, but my sister who is a Jehovah's Witness would be the interesting bit. I'd like to tell her I'd like to give her a huge wad of cash but that I'm not sure if her religious convictions would allow her to receive the proceeds of gambling.

Oh please let that day come.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In Sydney an elders family at my hall went on a TV show and won a car. The congregation made such trouble over it and he was threatened to be put down from being an elder so he gave it back.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

My JW brother-in-law would take the money in a blink of the eye. He can't wait for me to win it. When I questioned him he said, "what's it got to do with me I didn't gamble, if your generous enough to give this money then it's no sin on my part."
    Is he doctrinally safe with that approach?
    Clam your sister might take the same approach.

• Clam
    Clam

Spectrum they're sad aren't they? I think it's called hypocricy.

Surely receiving gambling proceeds is akin to accepting a Christmas present?

• Golf
    Golf

The biggest lottery winners is the WTB&TS and they do it under the guise of being Christian!

The way they take care of 'orphans & widows' is by taking their real estate and so-called contributions to expand the Kingsom work.

Golf

• Dansk
    Dansk

Spectrum:

When I questioned him he said, "what's it got to do with me I didn't gamble, if your generous enough to give this money then it's no sin on my part."

That's a typical JW response and one I heard continually! I also heard and know of JWs who do the lottery in the UK. I had to laugh. One opened up a book and his lottery ticket fell out!

I believe purchasing shares is a form of gambling because it is not a definite certainty that they will increase in value. However, Watchtower published an article stating that it wasn't gambling - then I found out about all the shares it invested in!!!!! Hypocrisy? You bet! BIG TIME!!

Now I'm free of all that garbage I do the lottery and will participate in raffles.

What would I do with the money if I won? There'd be a lot of happy people out there!

Ian

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Surely receiving gambling proceeds is akin to accepting a Christmas present?

I had a boss once that said "If you don't celebrate Christmas, why do you accept Christmas bonuses?"

Interesting point - as long as you 'tithed' to the Society, they probably wouldn't really care how you got the money...lol.

• Clam
    Clam

Ian their attitude also shows a real taste for materialism. I wonder how much they'd give to the poor?

My experience of JWs generally is that they don't exactly plan their lives as though Armageddon was just around the corner. The ones in my family are buying properties for their children when they reach adulthood, saving for pension schemes and basically planning for the future. Thats what I call hedging your bets. Why would they want to win the lottery when they'll have so many riches in the new order?? Mamon strikes again!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

How would going on a TV show and winning a car be considered gambling? I thought the distinction between winning a prize and gambling was that with gambling you had to put out money from your own pocket in the hope that you would receive something in return. Winning prize generally does not require anything out of pocket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit