I went to church yesterday...

by mrsjones5 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    the music that we got in the KH, was tinkly,

ROFL. I've never been a dub, but have visit several times with a friend who is one, including the Memorial. "Tinkly"... yes, that's the word that I just couldn't put my finger on to discribe the JW music ... it was TINKLY compared to the rich, emotional sounds of some of the other churches music.

• bebu
    bebu
    I kept hearing about the "Body of Christ" and it took me a while to understand that the body of Christ is the church - all churches, all denominations ;(not so sure if that includes the jws though ).

I feel that it isn't a reference to denominations at all, actually, whether "orthodox" or non. The body of Christ cuts across a lot of lines, I think. Sometimes the ones in the "right" (most theologically correct as God knows it) church is a pharisee, and not connected at all. The one in the "wrong" church can be poor in spirit, and able to discover grace despite the haze. But "wrong" churches as a whole promote views which ultimately distance themselves from God, so overall they are destructive and controlling.

I agree with LT about just attending once, to prove to ones self that the WTS is a lot like N Korea in how it paints its enemies. And that the roof won't cave in on you.

bebu

• kid-A
    kid-A

Even though I am not even slightly religious anymore, I agree with LT. Many ex-JWs are permanently turned off all religious experience following the nightmare of being assimilated into the borg.

I remember visiting the Vatican (the scarlet coloured whore!! LOL) and being so awestruck by the art, culture and architectural magnificence of the experience, not too mention the historical

importance of the place, just the intellectual experience of seeing or participating in alternative religious rituals is an important educational event, even for those of us with no religious interest at all. Its important to see that "Babylon the great" is not the evil beast the Watchtower corporation brain washed us into believing it was....

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I've recently been exploring a few different churches now that I'm outta the dubs. I have got choked up emotionally at every service I've been too. Something about the music and singing that opened me up emotionally unlike anything I've experienced as a dub, (except occasionally when I was a teen during closing songs at district assemblies.) Had to hold myself back from blubbering my eyes out. It kinda made me realise that I am holding a lot of shit inside me at an emotional level and could really do with some healing. I fully agree that the JW meetings are emotionally sterile and lacking love.

Although non-trinitarian, I actually enjoyed the emphasis on Jesus, although I did squirm a bit at some of the song lyrics and a few things said that portrayed Jesus a little too highly for my liking. One church in particular I won't be going back to because the speaker, although good, basically made out that Jesus was Yahweh. But I intend to return to one church in particular. It was a little less 'rock n roll' and more relaxed and a chap there really impressed me with his friendliness and personal attention, showing me all around the place and having a coffee with me afterwards. And Lord knows I could really do with some new friends as its been a real struggle since leaving the JW's.

Generally I have been extremely impressed with the kindness and friendliness shown by people at the revival type churches. It has made me realise that they really are nice, caring people who love God and Christ (or so it seems). I'm trying not to get too hung up about the fact that they have a few false doctrines because I have come to accept that there is no one true Christian denomination on earth. They all just have a mix of true and false.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Hmm

Over the years since fading i've been to a few different churches, Baptist, Anglican, Pentecostal, I enjoy the services, usually get something out of it but still find it hard to committ. (the pentcostal had me a bit scared, they have a sunday afternoon service for families which is more reserved, although still full on, two hours, the singing is fantastic, but the evening service is more way out, and freaked me out a bit!)

the pastor waited outside my house a few weeks later when I didn't come back (small town, everyone knows everyone else!) and told me that the Lord had wonderful plans for my life. I agreed, and said I had wonderful plans for my life too. He saw my husband at work later and said that he was sorry that maybe he had scared me away).

but the thing is that as much as i want to believe that there is something there, I still don't know. It seems crazy after all these years and how old I am, you'd think I'd have my act together by now! But it's not as if I agonise over it all the time, I get on with life, and enjoy life, enjoy spending time with my gorgeous kids and husband, and live life to the fullest. (sometimes so full that it's stop the world I want to get off!)

I've told God if he exists that it's too hard, at the judging he'll read my heart and know that my witness upbringing has made this conflict and that I'm genuine. And if he doesn't like that then I wouldn't want to be part of it anyway. You know if my husband believed, and wanted to go to church then it would be easy to go because it is "nice"!, but he doesn't so that's that.

I'm dithering now.......

best wishes everyone

D:)

p.s. LT I miss your hat and think you need a new one, how about a "see you Jimmy" cap?! ;)

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I agree that people should go to church one time in their lives. If anything to crush the lies that we were fed about them by the JWs. I expected church to never use the bible, to have prayers not said from the heart, to find the place full of 'seat warmers' and not by people who had a personal relationship with God. Instead I found nothing of the sort. They have bands playing music that is ALIVE. That you can feel and join in with and really mean what you are singing. The prayers are beautiful. They are not rehearsed. They are talking to God. The congregation is strong. The members are there because they want to be there. They love God, they love his grace they love being amongst other worshippers. Most of them also attend small groups during the week. The kids are really interested. They are not being dragged along.

Many times when I first began attending I would sit there and cry for most of the time. Because I felt myself develop a relationship with God that I never ever experienced in my whole life as a JW.

I enjoy going to church. I go because I want to not because I feel obliged to. I feel that the pastor and his family and the leadership team are personally interested in myself in every aspect of my life. I have learnt so much about God, Jesus the bible that I never knew before. Its not easy and I am still trying to get my head around things. But ultimately I know thats not the important thing. The important thing is that Jesus died for me and everyone.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    And get this, this Saturday the church is having a financial seminar to help the church members with estate planning, retirement planning and all that other good stuff. I told my husband about it and he said that jws would never have something like that. Such a smart man!

Josie

Josie...Sorry to disagree with you but the WT has financial help offered also.

1.Estate..Give it ALL to us.

2.Retirement...Don't worry about it.The end is coming soon™

POZ

• TopHat
    TopHat

Before I became a dub (now an exdub) ...I went to 4 different chuch denominations... Southern Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic and Methodest. So I have had that experience already. I find backbitting and gossip in all of them. I knew one Medhodist peacher since we were teens....while he is a good man and married, He still turns his head toward a nice pair of tetes or a well shaped butt...of course, he is man you say....but on Sunday he preaches that lust for another beside your mate is a sin.

What can I fault a man who thinks I look like movie star. ,at least when we were teens.

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

4 years ago I was conducting the Watchtower study and giving public talks from the WT outlines.

I'm now an associate pastor in a community church.
    When I get the opportunity to preach, the sermon ideas are the result of daily
    Bible reading and prayer about what to preach. I use almost no notes.

It's an incredible difference. God truly answers the prayers of those who want to
    know Him.

• Undecided
    Undecided

My wife and I went for about a year. She was never a JW. I helped build the church and kind of enjoyed the people there but I had no feeling of spirituality. It seemed like a bunch of emotional reactions as some praised God etc. It just didn't seem real. I don't believe in religion anymore. If that is what you like it's fine with me, it's just not my cup of tea.

I did like the pastor, we visited some at the hospital together, had dinner together several times and could talk comfortably. I told him of my JW background and he was OK with it, I think he was an honest, sincere man. He was there for my wife's family whenever they needed him and I considered him a friend. He moved to West Virginia after the church split to his home town and preaches there now.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit