Where are all you disco dancers?

by IronClaw 32 Replies latest social entertainment

• wombat
    wombat

IronClaw,,,,So happy that you are making your move...

I was born '45 so I sort of know disco. Sad, eh.

I cannot locate anywhere my favourite. It's the "Hallelujah in Disco".

It really rocked.

• wombat
    wombat

Wow...I just made my 300th post...Talking about '70's disco....Again so sad.

I saw The Beatles perform live in Australia in '64. Which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I like to show off.

They only played a few times in a small (3,000 ?) theatre here but the number of people who claim to have seen them would now fill a stadium. But I really did.

But, back to Boney M.............

• moshe
    moshe

My wife and I can still do a mean Hustle- we danced to Donna Summer's, "I will Survive" Saturday night at a Bar Mitzvah party. Moshe

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I was just a teen so I couldn't get in the clubs to party and dance, but I always had the disco station on in my room, BBM96 and Dicso DAI, Chicago! Disco was fun, upbeat music and I listen to it all the time on Sirius satellite radio in my car.

• wombat
    wombat

IronClaw...Would you like me to tell you about my pure white, silk, expensive jacket that I wore with denims and a beautiful gold chain....or would that be too much info.? (And the black silk shirt).

Actually I still wear the balck silk shirt sometimes (women love to stroke it) but it is an effort to iron. At my age now I am just trying to ...."stay'n alive".

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Hey Wombat, How bout them "Members only jackets"? Your gold chain sounds nice, probably the only thing left from that era worth anything. Im too big now to fit anything.LOL

• david_10
    david_10

Hi Dinah. Yep, I have a turntable with a 6-record changer. And about 3,000 albums to play on it. I stack them up and let them play. Need a record? I've probably got it.

Blondie, it's too bad you never had the 8-Track experience. There's no doubt that 8-Track was the worst form of sound reproduction ever devised, but it was sort of charming. Kind of like a puppy that's the runt of the litter-------------------------kind of pathetic, but real cute. I still play my 8-Tracks. They work OK, usually. There's someting about that "ka-chook" sound that gets me. Right in the middle of a song------"ka-chook"-----and it changes tracks. You get used to it, though. Instead of scratching turntables, these rappers ought to figure out how to use that ka-chook sound. I might start liking rap. You never know.

David

• greendawn
    greendawn

So what was it that the dubs were saying about disco music, that it had pagan or demonic origins, and all JWS were frightened into throwing away all their vinyls?

• david_10
    david_10

Hello Greendawn----------------Yes, that's what the Society said. But mainly they said that it was homosexual music. They really jumped on that. Statistically, however, Disco didn't have any more gays in it than any other genre. It's just that, in the spirit of the times, many of the artists felt liberated enough to 'out' themselves and they didn't care what anybody thought. But a high percentage of gays are to be found in any style of music, and that's the way it is. Classical, rock, jazz, you name it. In fact, even though I don't care for rap or know much about it, I would go out on a limb and say that about half of these gay-bashing rappers are probably gay themselves.

As a musician, and having been in the music business for over 25 years, I'm well aware of the old adage: "Be real careful what you say about Jews and homosexuals-------------------------you're probably talking to one." Disco was not at all unusual in that sense. But the Society sure loved to rub it in.

David

• greendawn
    greendawn

Hi David, through my then personal experience it never crossed my mind once that Disco music has anything special to do with gays, any more than other types of music. As you mentioned gays are to be found right across the musical spectrum from classical music to rap. ABBA certainly didn't appear gay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit