How can anyone understand?

by justsomedude 25 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Get friends, real friends. That is a good start. The more that you see of a "normal" life the more you will allow yourself to enjoy it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Wombat:As Art said, sometimes we get visits from the artist formerly known as...

All the best,
    Ross.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Justmedude--it's never too late to make some new friends.

And, you will be surprised how much people are understanding of the whole cult experience--even ones who have not been JW. In the past few months (after about 21/2 years of exiting JWs ) I have been more open about my JW past with new people I meet. Had a great conversation with a friend the other day. I expressed to her about the difficulties I have at times because of my years of belonging to a high controlling religious group. She was very supportive and understanding and had some great insight and gave me some new perspective on the subject. I also shared my experience with an group I hang out with one day when we were talking about religion. I just mentioned that I had been a member of a high controlling religious group for several years (nobody even asked me what group) but most understood as some had been raised Catholic or whatever and had their horror stories too. I think part of letting it go is to stop being secret about it and to share yourself and you stories with others--you'll be surprised at the insight some of them will give you.

the best to you,

cybs

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Hey dude!

Everything you are expierencing is NORMAL. But I'm sure folks have already reassured you of that. But just think: now is your chance to do finally live and be free! So when you're guzzling down shots after shots at your local bar this weekend and everyone's wondering "Man, this guy is nuts but I like him!" You'll know why.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi love and well done with what you've achieved for yourself so far! My two cents; my husband isn't and ex-witness, and it isn't a problem for us. I'm able to talk about my JW issues here with people who do understand, and get on with the sunny side of life with my love. I hope that one day it will all be behind me and not be something I still need to 'deal with', in the meantime I'm able to separate my love life from it. That is, there are plenty of people out there you'll be able to be friends with and even develop relationships with, and you'll start seeing how shortly.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

Hey All,

Thanks for the kind words and understanding. It took me a few days till I could even come back and look at this, I just needed to get my head back on straight really.

I know that every expierience in life shapes who you are as a person and as long as you like yourself, there had to have been some value to what you have done up until now. Sometime though it just feels like a day where you've over slept and wasted the day and you know that if you would have just been awake when you should have been, you could have accomplished so much more.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Throwing a pity party for myself really isnt my style, but the last couple of weeks have been kind of hard, so Im very thankful that I have a place to vent, even if I never actually get to meet the people Im spilling my guts to.

JSD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit