Hi ~ new here...

by Riverwatcher 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

Hi to everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this site. I'm not a J/W, but my son is. Several years ago, he became involved with a J/W, although she was being shunned at the time. Long story short, she became pregnant, and they married. Before the marriage, we took her in, so to speak. She literally had nowhere to go; parents had booted her out of the house. I'm not sure what her "infractions" were....didn't ask, but none the less, she was to become our daughter in law and we felt taking her in during this time was the right thing to do.

Several months after she and my son married, she started the process of (forgive me, I don't know what it's officially called) but it's where she had to "prove" she was worthy enough to be able to attend meetings again. She had to, what appeared to be in my opinion, beg for them to take her back. Eventually, she was approved (for lack of a better word) and has been going to meetings ever since. During this time, my son also became involved and is now a J/W.

Some questions here. While she was being shunned, this was only done by her Dad. Her Mom called the house several times a day to speak with her, but this was done without Dad's knowledge. Is this commom? I thought shunning was pretty much set in stone, where both of her parents would essentially ignore her.

From what I've read here, I'm assuming that as time goes by, my son will be encouraged (or will it be expected?) to cut ties with his non J/W family. He's been involved for a little over two years now, so I don't know when, or if, to expect this, but if they do expect him to cut all ties, what sort of time frame should I be looking at? And, how will they try to convince him to not have any dealings with us? When he visits, or when we talk on the phone, there is no mention whatsoever of him being a J/W. Truth be told, the reason his Dad and me don't mention it is because we, at times, just feel paralyzed with fear that if we try to point out some stuff that we see as wrong with the Organization that this will be the fuel he needs to cut off communication with us. In other words, we don't want to give him any reason to cut ties with us. We don't want to challenge him to the point of making him run, even though it kills us. We've also got a beautiful Grandbaby now. I can't imagine not being in her life, yet it's something that I cry about on a regular basis. Good grief...I'm a mess over this!! Really, I am. It's to the point where I find myself worrying about this for countless hours in the day. And it's even worse when I look at my precious Grandbaby and just get sick thinking about what kind of childhood she'll have to endure, and how long it will be before "they" start filling her mind with crap about "us". And by "they", I don't just mean my son and DIL, I'm also referring to her other Grandparents, who live about three blocks from my son. I know they are a huge influence....

Well, thanks for letting me get this out. It feels good to have a shoulder to cry on every now and then.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Hi, and welcome! Dont worry too much, unless things have changed a whole lot, he can associate with you, because you were never a witness. Its the ones who were, and turned away that they cut ties from! Hang in there!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Welcome aboard.

Sorry about your situation. You will find that you are in good company here. Most are former jw's here, but many are like non-jw with loved ones in the org.

There is hope!

A couple of books for you to get are Combatting Cult Mind Control and Releasig the Bonds, both by Steven Hassan.

They are "help your loved one out of a cult" manuals. Hang out here. Ask questions. And eventually hopefully you can start helping your son to have a different perspective.

Take care.

CYP

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome! I'm sorry it's under such circumstances.

just feel paralyzed with fear that if we try to point out some stuff that we see as wrong with the Organization that this will be the fuel he needs to cut off communication with us.

You're absolutely right, and amazingly astute for picking up on it. If you present yourself as being against his faith, the normal JW reaction is to mentally label you "opposers" and begin to avoid you. JW's are told from very early in the process to expect this from their family, so he's waiting for the other shoe to drop, too. That you haven't dropped it is serving as proof that the Watchtower is wrong on at least that point!

I feel for you because my parents went through what you are going through. I started becoming a JW at 15 and was baptized at 17. When I moved out, got married, had children, they were not really invited into my life that much. We visited, but it wasn't nearly as often as we visited my wife's JW parents.

That he hasn't already changed his relationship with you might mean he's just not going to. This is surely due to the fact that you haven't opposed his faith. JW's aren't told to "shun" non-JW's, but they are constantly counseled to "avoid" them. The wording is so vague that no one knows what they're supposed to do.

I knew my parents weren't "bad", but they were still "worldly" and "bad associations". (Terms JW's use to refer to anyone that isn't a JW, and even some that are)

Stay tuned for good advice from others here that have had experiences similar to yours.

Dave

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Just adding to what Dave said;

Everything is based on trust. If he doesn't trust you, he won't talk to you. Dubs are teachers, never students. The way to get him to talk to you is to ask questions about his faith in a genuinely interested way. Once you have good trust, you can then ask him questions that might challenge or alter his perspective.

So sorry.

CYP

• mouthy
    mouthy

My advice is to never get into religious issues .As long as your not baptised they will bother with you. They may feel your doomed to distruction & may lovingly try to make you be one. But If you continue to show them love!!! & keep as close to your grand-baby as possible/ But if you start talking against the Watchtower they WILL stay away. It is there Idol.I am so sorry your son becaame one....

• Riverwatcher
    Riverwatcher

Wow! You guys are quick...thanks!

Now for my next question, why am I not seeing my post on the main portion of the "Friends" board? I found these responses by clicking on my name, but I'm not seeing my post where all the other ones are. What am I doing wrong?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, the JWD team IS quick, aren't they? I'll try and horn my way in and answer the second question. The board has quirks, you've done nothing wrong. After a while it will show up. You can also see your thread under Active Topics.

• Celia
    Celia

Click on Active Topics at the top of the page, under "Options", if there are recent answers to your post, it should be on the first page that appears, if not go back one page or two....

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh
    just feel paralyzed with fear that if we try to point out some stuff that we see as wrong with the Organization that this will be the fuel he needs to cut off communication with us. In other words, we don't want to give him any reason to cut ties with us. We don't want to challenge him to the point of making him run, even though it kills us.

Welcome Riverwatcher,

Your quote shows great perception. Your position is a great starting point to work from. Take your time, because it could prove to be a bumpy ride - but if you play your cards right, you might very well come out on top.

There are a lot of (past) threads on this forum that deal with your predicament all the time - it will also provide you with many insights into JW sub-culture. You will also need to do some homework before you make any move. IMO, one of the most interesting introductions (for you!) into the Watchtower Society is "Crisis of Conscience" (2004 ed) by Ray Franz or, although a bit outdated, M. James Penton's "Apocalypse Delayed."

If you maintain trust and normal communication, you can show an interest in JW to your son. This will draw close to you. You will then be able to ask some questions on certain topics in a way that will make him happy to answer them. As long as JW see you as a potential convert, you will able to keep this up. They will want to "teach" you the truth, and as they think they actually have the "truth" they will make an effort to answer them (which they eventually will fail to do of course). Show your true colors and you will already have lost.

Take care,

Theo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit