On this Forum my Light is getting Dimmer

by Spectrum 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

I don't know if it is a good or bad thing but my view of JWs has got dimmer since I joined JWD. The reason I'm not sure is because I don't dislike the JWs per se as I've met some good people but at the same time I feel more suspicious of these people's drive and motive - I'm talking about the ones I know personally. I find that disconserting and uncomfortable.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Spectrum:

The reason I'm not sure is because I don't dislike the JWs per se as I've met some good people

No one denies that there are good people within the JWs, after all we here were in! Sadly, this goodness is taken advantage of and before one knows it one has lost free-thinking and has become a clone of the Org, spouting out deceitful dogma. It isn't the individual JW that is at fault but those in the higher positions who set down the dogma. It IS very difficult at times to take it all in, the goodness of some JWs and the hurtful teachings they preach. However, don't let this dim your light for acquiring accurate knowledge, which you will definitely receive here. Rather, let your light shine for others by helping them see the errors of their ways through their being caught in Watchtower's trap.

It's understandable why one can go to the other extreme and have a really dim view of JWs. I'd be there if I allowed myself! I just say to myself that they are in need of help!

One only has to count the number of once-dedicated JWs here who have seen this true light and exited but who now do their utmost to help their felllow man get out of the Org's clutches. Many have done it and are still doing it at great personal cost to themselves. Their families have been torn apart, their loved ones having shunned them, in some cases, for decades! We don't bear hatred for the individual JW but out of purely altruistic motives wish the light we have gained to be shone on those other poor souls still entrapped by the heinous cult. Can you imagine how difficult it would be if JWD didn't exist! It has helped and is still helping so many people find real truth. Many have been reunited with their families. THAT'S got to be worth a light kept shining for!

Ian

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

well said, Ian!

You know, it really warms us how in the midst of the dark gloom of illness you can shed such light as you do.

Bless you, man!

Ozzie

• Elise
    Elise

It's just a religion full of people and people the world over are simply people. There are good people everywhere and there are not so good people everywhere. There are also downright nasty and bad people everywhere.

Don't most, if not all religions think theirs is 'the truth'?

Doesn't the Catholic religion think it knows best?

Doesn't the Protestant religion think it's gone one better than the Catholic religion?

What about the Mormons?

What about Islam?

Don't feel any less about Jehovah's Witnesses than you do about any other religion.

The problem arises when we as individuals realise that what we thought was real and truthful actually isn't. We shouldn't be pointing the finger at religion - whatever religion we were brought up in, we should be pointing the finger at ourselves. Reality really is a perception!

The most important aspects of our lives should be ourselves, our children and our spouses, not our religion. I truly believe that we should be looking within for our answers and giving our children the gift of a postive self worth, unreliant on anything outside themselves. To me, our own families are what matters most.

I'm so over the JW's.

I'm so over religion per se.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Welcome, Elise.

Jean

• onesong
    onesong

Welcome to the forum Elise!

I couldn't agree more with your points of looking at our own religion/beliefs rather than others.(Extract the rafter in our own eye.)

Also that the answers are within each of us. So true! It should be about our own personal experience with God/spirituality or whatever rather than a prescribed set of rules and doctrine.

I look forward to hearing more of your input!

• anewme
    anewme

Excuse me Spectrum, I am not sure I understand your question.
    You are usually so articulate. What are you saying? Is your light growing dim?
    Are you saying you are confused? Discouraged?

Here on this forum you get exposed to alot of new thoughts. It is only normal to have to adjust your thinking to accomodate the differing views of others. That is education.

It is a broadening of your understanding and a deepening of your awareness of the world around you.

Some ideas you let go. Others you embrace. Its change and growth at the same time.

• ontarget
    ontarget

Thank you for your thoughts.

One thing to keep in though, most other religions do not go to extreems to make sure that everyone knows that JW children are different from other school kids. They don't make it a sin to have friends that are not of their religion. They don't instruct family members to abhore one who chooses not to believe anymore. They don't make saving your life with blood a sin. They don't say it is ok to take blood fractions but difellowship you if you give blood to help other people. I could go on and on but my point is that I am fine with the fact that most religions think they are right, the problem is they are extreem, they are high control, they take away love and happiness and the ability to enjoy the life that we are now living. You can only love others if they are witnesses, you are to live small, give to the WT, hate the world around you while you look forward to the paradise.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Maybe your focus is just heading into the Infrared

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I feel more suspicious of these people's drive and motive - I'm talking about the ones I know personally. I find that disconserting and uncomfortable.

The motive of the individual JW is probably sincere. Both a sincere desire to help you and a sincere desire to obey what they understand their god wants them to do.

They're good folks on the whole, just like everybody else. But they're sorely misled. Getting hurt by one is like getting punched by a puppet. Do you get mad at the puppet, or the guy pulling the strings?

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit