On this Forum my Light is getting Dimmer

by Spectrum 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

anewme,

"What are you saying? Is your light growing dim?
    Are you saying you are confused? Discouraged?"

No, I didn't explain it well. Compared to when I started on this forum I now have a dim view of JWs. Previous to this forum, I only remembered that they weren't particularly a loving bunch and were more materialistic than one would expect. These were my personal experiences. But since having joined this forum I've read so many tragic stories that it's changed my view of them way beyond the mildly negative view I had pre this forum.

'my Light is getting Dimmer' is just an antithetical play on the JWs metaphor 'the Light is getting brighter'

Respect
    Spectrum

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Elise, welcome to the forum!

Hi Spectrum, I think your experience is a common experience. I don't know how people could read what's written here and not be affected.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Welcome Elise,

"The most important aspects of our lives should be ourselves, our children and our spouses, not our religion. I truly believe that we should be looking within for our answers and giving our children the gift of a postive self worth, unreliant on anything outside themselves. To me, our own families are what matters most."

Your absolutely right, finding strength from within is the most effective way forward.
    Yes there are good and bad people in all religions. But the effects of this religion seem to have grave consequences on individuals.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

" I don't know how people could read what's written here and not be affected. "

It's true, I just wasn't expecting to read such testimonials.

• ferret
    ferret

Welcome Elise. your comments are right on the money. We all have the freedom to choose

what we want.

• Elise
    Elise

Thank you to those who replied to me. Unfortunately I'm completely in the dark about how to use this site properly - it's set out very differently to other discussion boards I've used. No doubt I'll learn.

There was one person who spoke about the enforced group isolation one must endure as a Jay Dub as well as medical and other issues. I wholeheartedly agree with every comment that person has made (and comments everyone else makes). I too have been badly affected with parents and a sister who remain 'in the truth' (and I use that term flippantly). My point is, no-one is forcing my parents to be the way they are. They could choose to be any religion they want, but they choose to be Jehovah's Witnesses and that is my point, it is their choice. Oh yes, they're brainwashed blah, blah, blah........whatever!

My reality is such that bitching and backstabbing about a religion by people who are still involved in it is childish (please know I don't think that everyone on this site is still associated with the Jehovah's Witnesses). I can understand that people are scared to be disassociated from their families, but what sort of relationships do these people have with their families just now?.....I mean, it can't be a beautiful, loving and nurturing one. By staying and pretending to conform, or by staying but fading, what are these people showing their own children? Stand up for yourselves. Okay, get disfellowshiped, so what, be shunned - at least they won't come near you. Isn't that what it's about, surrounding yourselves with positive people who are supportive of you and love you unconditionally and staying clear of negative people? Stand up for your principles and be a role model for your children and others who feel trapped in ANY religion.

I left when I was 16, well, I was told if I didn't like it I had to leave. I am soooooo glad now that I did and I wouldn't change a thing - aside from the relationship I have with my parents, I'd change that in a heartbeat. This dysfunctional and abusive relationship has seen me hit some very sad lows, but I'm just one of billions of people down through the centuries with a sad parent/child relationship. There are SO many people who have absolutely horrendous stories to tell (I don't believe that mine's in anyway horrendous), many of which also encompass religion and many which don't. My parents though are as they are and really, that's not religion, that's them and I can't change them. Nor can they change me.

I sincerely wish all of you peace within yourselves.

Elise

• deeskis
    deeskis

good comments sis

i can see where you're coming from

love ya

Dxx

• deeskis
    deeskis

however i guess that many people continue to walk on eggshells around their jw family because they love them, just don't love what they're doing. and they're hoping for a change, that the family will finally "get it".

yes it's best to surround yourselves with positive people who love you. but if negative people love you, (even though the way they show their love is bad), they still love you. i suppose everyone has to make their own decision as to when they've had enough. also it can be easier the more time passes. many people are still feeling the grief of finding out that their faith, their convictions and their hope for the future has all been a lie. they are grieving over that loss, and the further loss of their family, friends et al could be too much to bear.

D

• greendawn
    greendawn

There may be some great persons in the JWs but the organisation they serve is deceitful and exploitative, and it creates an unnatural environment where the individual can not be truly normal. They are afflicted with the image of a vengeful destructive God and they relate to him through fear not love. Also they don't believe that they are part of the New Covenent so what kind of Christians are they?

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Welcome to the board Elise!

Hey serendipity! I did respond back to your post on my last thread.

Oh, Spectrum! Quit it! Sounds like someone just needs a hug!

And a very warm Good evening to you Dave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit