Something I wonder.......

by DaveNwisconsin 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ticker
    Ticker

Yes I remember too how the feeling used to be in the congregations. Everyones kids were not even going to finish school before armagedon came. No one was going to get old and die before it came. It must be a shocking realization for some when they are faced with their own mortality. It must be difficult for them as they had their hopes raised so much due to continuously being told they would not die as armagedon was so close.

Ticker

• Ticker
    Ticker

And welcome to the board Dave.

Ticker

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Nice Gary!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I sense a changing tide of opinion. older ones that I know speak of now dying and being resurrected. they no longer have the confidence that the end will come in their remaining years.. They still have unwavering faith in the Borg and its teaching but seem to have accepted that "Jehovah has decided to let this world run on a little longer"

The cognitive dissonance does not allow them to actually question the 'spirit direction' of it all.

I think they are sad - my family thinks that I am a sad case for having abandoned it all

• garybuss
    garybuss

For newer ones who had not seen this here is one quote and the link. The Eve information is in the Aid book, but it's also in the Insight books too. This is easier to find on Kingdom Hall shelves.

INSIGHT BOOK #1 p. 772 Eve When Adam was 130 years old, Eve gave birth to a son whom she called Seth, saying: "God has appointed another seed in place of Abel, because Cain killed him." She could properly express herself as she did at the births of both Cain and Seth, since God had given her and Adam their reproductive powers, and because of God’s unmerited kindness in not putting her to death immediately when she transgressed His command, she had been able to give birth. With the birth of Seth the Genesis record concerning Eve comes to a close.—Ge 4:25; 5:3, 4.

INSIGHT BOOK #2 p. 899 Seth

Seth: The son of Adam and Eve born when Adam was 130 years old.

So we read that Adam was "a hundred and thirty years"of age when he became father to Seth. (Aid To Bible Understanding,TWB&TS p. 277)

EVE: BIRTHS OF CHILDREN

At the birth of her first son Cain,outside paradise, Eve exclaimed :"I have acquired a man with the aid of Jehovah ."(Gen .4 :1)Interestingly,Eve is the first one reported using God's name,indicating that the name Jehovah was known to the very first humans. Later she gave birth to Abel as well at to other sons and daughters .At the age of 130 another son was born to her .Eve called his name Seth,saying :"God has appointed another seed in place of Abel,because Cain killed him . (Aid To Bible Understanding,TWB&TS p.538)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/47036/1.ashx

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Gary,

That's a great argument, and one that will, as in your example, be sure to stump JW's the world over....

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Funchback,

You and I are the same age, and what you wrote about feeling you would never reach certain milestones could have been written in my words. And I too believed that all the presidents would be the 'one' to turn against religion, especially when 1986 (I believe it was) was declared the "Year of Peace & Security" or whatever it was called. I remember at our summer assembly when we were told that the next year was being declared as such by Reagan, I got a chill because I really felt that it was going to be the end. I remember my mom saying on a number of occasions that "Well, next year we'll probably be celebrating Memorial underground."

It really screws up your view of the future and the importance you place on being prepared for it....

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Funchback & Tall Tex--Amen!!

In 1960 when Kennedy was elected, my mother attached great importance to the fact that a Catholic had become Prezz, so I had better get with the program.

B

• dinah
    dinah

This was just on my mind the other day. I NEVER thought I would be 37 old! Like the earlier post, I spent my whole life thinking: I'll never finish elementary school, never get a driver's license, never marry, never see 25 before Jehovah kills me in a murderous rage. (Somehow I never expected that I would live through Armageddon--not good enough) Now I'm trying to wrap my mind around getting old. Bummer. If you had told me when I was 12 years old that I'd be staring at 40 I would've laughed at you. I'm not laughing anymore.

• Honesty
    Honesty

If the dubs would only believe the scriptures:

Heb 9:27-28 And just as it is appointed for people to die once—and after this, judgment— so also the Messiah , having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for Him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit