Do you know the words to the national anthem?

by Mysterious 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• sassafras
    sassafras

DH and I were just having this conversation the other day... I bet him that he didn't know the words to the national anthem, and being one to always accept a challenge, tried his best. It resulted in a hilarious mix of the pledge of allegience and the star spangled banner. The funny part was, he thought he nailed it. Haha.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I know the words and used to sing the anthem before becoming a JW. My sentiment is the same as "Blues Brothers". By the way, one of the hispanic brothers in our congregation was rather impressed by the politeness of Americans after attending his first professional baseball game. He tells me that before the game started everyone stood up in unison and sang out loud "Jose' can you see".

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Fairmind,

Funny story about Jose.

Hi Blues Bro,

Ditto what you said. I had a healthy disrespect for institutions even before becoming a JW at the tender age of 10, from my parents.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No, but I know the preamble of the constitution thanks to School House Rock

Schoolhouse Rock

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Ah yes! Those were the days! Having to stand in silence while all the other kids sang the National Anthem!

How embaressing for me. Some days I would just say f** it and go right along singing it anyway.

Just another way for the Society to single us kids out. Its hard enough being a teen and then they make it that much worse for you. SOB'S!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The US and the British but not the Canadaian --- Oh say can you see by the dawns early light

• delilah
    delilah
    I remember as a kid, we had to say the Lord's Prayer, sing "God Save the Queen," and sing the national anthem. When my parents became witnesses ( I was still in grade school), I'd still sing and recite the prayer each morning to myself as I stood in the hallway at school....and I still remember the words.
  • InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I do remember it, and occassionally sing along too. I got emotionally choked, even when I was an elder... As a sidemark, I think it differs a lot even within Europe. I think the French held "the Marseillaise" in high esteem. Also nationalism is more accepted in Norway, than in e.g. Sweden. "Ja, vi elsker dette landet" (Yes, we do love this country) is sung with pride in Norway, whereas the Swedes might have more trouble with theirs.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I always did; better than many non-JWs. But amazingly since no longer attending meetings at the KH, I have not had any opportunity to sing it. I actually prefer America the Beautiful and find the high notes on the Star-Spangled Banner difficult to hit.

Blondie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Usually only the first verse is sung, which I know. There's six in total

Anyhow, we're more likely to sing "Flower of Scotland".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit