Do you know the words to the national anthem?

by Mysterious 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Ah to be a JW and be singled out every time it's sung or played. Since leaving the JWs do you know the words to the national anthem?

Thanks to the school system and a pretty good memory especailly for lyrics I knew the words in two languages before I ever left the witnesses, something that I'm quite proud of today. I still tense up whenever it's played but the reaction is slowly going away. I remember getting in trouble once when I was about 8 for humming the music under my breath and I regret never having learned to play the sheet music in band, but I'm proud to say I at least got to sing at my grad while my mother waited in the hallway.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Yes.

I don't know the words to the Canadian anthem but I would if I lived there.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

I know the US Version and have even gotten to sing it a few times to open Baseball games, Hockey Games as well as 4th of July events and several 9/11 Memorial events.

Now I get to teach it to my son's cub scout troop as their new Den Leader.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yes, I do. And I sing really loud too! ha!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I do not know the words of my national anthem, nor do I care.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Yes I do!! And I get teary eyed when I am in a big crowd singing it, and sometimes even watching it on TV.

When I am at the Oklahoma Sooners football games, when they get to the end, it is "And the home of the brave Sooners". The crowd ROARS!!!!!!!!!! Now that is the closest thing to heaven that there is. By the way, we beat the Oregon Ducks Tuesday.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Just curious danny, why don't you care?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The British National Anthem is lost on me too. One of the legacies that I have retained upon leaving the dubs is a healthy disrespect for authority and the world's political system.

What reason do I have, or does anybody have to be proud of that part of the earth in which you happen to live? the imaginary lines between us are drawn up by politicians , we are one human family.

Nationalism has resulted in such pain and suffering and misplaced pride . I have no wish to sing "God save our gracious Queen" . I respect the arrangements of law and civil authority but just cannot feel Nationalistic. I also respect the views of other who, no doubt disagree with me . I have learned that much after leaving the dubs.

(BTW the above does not apply to the England Football team who are competing in the World Cup this Summer - no need to be consistent about everything!)

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I don´t know. I believe it´s an European thing. Nationalism in Sweden = nazism, racism. It´s pretty negatively loaded word here.

• wombat
    wombat

Most Australians know much of the first verse of "Advance Australia Fair".

It's fun watching sportsmen on TV before a game. Many just move their lips occasionally.

When our Government decided to drop the British national anthem and adopt a new one there was huge public consultation.

A very large percentage of the population wanted "Waltzing Matilda".

"Waltzing Matilda" is a ballad about a bloke who stole and ate a sheep, and when the coppers arrived to bust him, suicided by drowning.

That would have been much more fun than our present anthem.

Now we sing that "our land is girt by sea".

Bloody hell. Girt-by-Sea sounds like a dismal pommie beach resort. I always imagine a postcard featuring a fat lady called Gertrude in a beach chair.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit