JWD WAS ABLE TO CONVINCE ME THE PARADISE WAS A MYTH BUT...

by stillAwitness 61 Replies latest jw friends

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

The scrip you use at Rev 20:7 is good, but you forget one thing in vs10 it talks about Satan being tormented day and night forever. The WTS says this is symbolic not literal. So You cant have it both ways. Either the entire chapter is symbolic or it is literal. Any scholar will tell you this. The WTS has a great way of interp scrip to fit its doctrine.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

now i'm really confused. Great debate but um...hey, I'm still here...hi?

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Well its almost 4pm here on the east coast. Time for some football. Gotta be well rounded you know. It was a pleasure chatting with you guys. Have a happy

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

HUH? What....HEY! ... hi guys I'm still here and still left dazed and confused.

Boy, if Armageddon is tonight I'm pointing at fingers are everybody.

Typical man..football always wins!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

JH said,

Didn't Jesus resurrect some people ?

Did those people live forever?

...and, according to some reports, the cow jumped over the moon.

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

Paradise is indeed a myth. JH is too much of a literalist with his quotes from Ps. 37:10,11,29. If you do not understand Hebraic apocolyptic language, then how can you understand a literalist interpretation of Ps. 18:4-17? The WTS presumptuously takes liberty at telling us what is literal and what is symbolic as it cuts and pastes its way through the Bible. Isn't Ps 37 just another psalm of David? Is this not a form of writing where David exaggerates the outcome of the struggle of good against evil as he exaggerated his rescue by God in Ps. 18? This is just the beginning in the discovering of Biblical myths. Here are two more examples and all you have to do is research with an open and reasoning mind to find the answers. Adam and Eve and paradise 6000 years ago. (Absurd) Noachian flood 4,500 years ago (Note: The early stages of the Egyptian Empire predates the flood by over 500 years.) I can't tell you where to go to find the truth. From my research I was able to reasonably and logically separate fact from fantasy. My advice is first and foremost to be reasonable. Ask yourself what a loving and reasonable God would require of mankind. Would a loving God leave it up to our fellow man to tell us what he requires of us? In your own mind and heart can you reason that if man's salvation is so important that it requires serving God in a certain way, why hasn't God spelled out the rules of salvation for every human on this planet so there is no confusion? Religious differences create confusion, not God. If the Bible is God's book of salvation, why has he allowed it to be so misrepresented by all the religions that claim to have the only one truth? Why are christians so hated in other lands if they have lovingly represented the word of God? Rape, murder, torture, and theft at the hands of God's representatives have never worked well in the conversion of others. If they don't receive salvation, is God to blame? Since you were supposedly created in God's image with his attributes, would you eternally damn anyone under these circumstances? Looking into your heart and looking at your fellow man with love may reveal the answers you're looking for.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

If the debt of sin is paid with death, then when Jesus resurrected people, why did they die again? Did that not count? Cuz Jesus was resurrected, so why does his count for everyone? Did Jesus do a half assed job with his resurrections?

There are bible scholars who argue that the original meaning of the passages interpreted as "everlasting life" actually mean a life of long and uncertain duration. That's a FAR CRY from everlasting.

Ever have an everlasting gobstopper? I have had a bunch of them. Damn Willy Wonka and his lies.

• seven006
    seven006

***Facts were stated about how our body is designed to live forever***

What exactly were these facts and did he give any kind of visual documentation to back these facts up?

Did you just blindly accept what the speaker said as fact or did you ask him to prove it?

Just because someone stands on a stage and says something to a group of people doesn’t mean what he says is true or is based an actual scientific or biological fact. What he said may sound convincing but that is his job. To make it sound convincing.

Many other religions had meetings today and said things that were the opposite of what was said at your meeting and I’m sure the people who heard those sermons also thought it sounded convincing. Just because something sounds convincing doesn’t make it true or factual.

Don’t give the speaker in today’s talk more credit for intelligence or knowledge about things then you give yourself. Neither one of you are biologists, scientist or doctors. The watchtower makes sure of that by only letting their people know so much about the outside world and how it really works. That way, you accept what you are told as some kind of knowledgeable authority.

Use your own powers of reasoning and go outside of the watchtower cocoon of self-serving reality to find the truth about his statements.

Dave

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

It comes down to this:

premise 1 If you believe in God

premise 2 If you believe the bible and especially the Genesis account as accurate and literal history

conclusion: Then you would believe that everlasting life on earth was God's original purpose for mankind and as God's purpose can never be forever thwarted then one day it will come true.

If you have any doubts about premises 1 and 2 then the conclusion falls down entirely. Most posters on here have doubts about the premises.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

The Bible is very important to me. I have learned just this year how to begin to understand it. For years I tried to make sense of its contradictions and paradoxes which will always persist while we fail to apply proper interpretation principles.

The Bible does not teach a paradise earth, which is indeed a myth. It clearly teaches something very different from that materialistic hope. I don't know where to start. But a breakthrough for me was a book I stumbled across. http://www.spck.org.uk/cat/show.php/0281056803

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit