At what age did you start driving a car?

by JH 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

Probably around 14 or so, my dad would let me steer. A little later, I got to shift AND steer at the same time(he did the clutch and gas). Got my permit at 15 1/2(legal permit age in CA) and right at my 16th birthday I recieved my license.

My first car(truck) was a '76 Toyota longbed. I had that truck forever, even after I had newer cars. When I sold it, it had almost 300k miles on it with the original engine/transmission. That truck was so easy to work on - I replaced just about everything else under the hood. I wish I still had it.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    What else did you start around age 10 Buttlight?

Wouldnt you like to know!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

about 12 years old on a farm

• juni
    juni

Got my license when I was 16. That would've been in 1965. Drove my dad's car. A Ford Fairlane 500 that drove like a truck and would stall all the time. Then he got a Chevy Biscayne "65. It led me into all kinds of trouble.

I have to say though that I've never been the cause of an accident and never one speeding ticket - not that I haven't deserved one - JUST LUCKY!!

• aarque
    aarque

When I was 18 I was in a car accident. My sister was driving; she had just gotten her license. She swerved to avoid a drunk driver and we skidded across the road and hit a telephone pole, totaling the car. I had my learner's permit at the time and was just too scared to even get in a car after the accident. I finally got my license when I was 32.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I too am absolutely consumed by automobiles. I have more toy cars than some 8 year olds. Hot Wheels, Matchbox etc etc. I've always been fascinated by Speed Racer and the Mach5, I run Gran Turismo 3 on the Playstation, a truly realistic driving simulator. I invest energy in it, almost like it was a religion. I am absolutely enamored by my own car, a Muscle / Luxury car, 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII.

Drove my first car when with my hoodlum friends, back in the 70's. Got my first moving violation at 13, when my mom was teaching me how to drive.

Legally started driving around age 36. Have dabbled here and there before that, but never to any serious degree. I learned to drive a stick on my own around 38, in auto tech class, in college. I now could never see myself being without a car. It would be as if a slice of my life would be removed. Public transportation is just not my stick.

• prophecor
    prophecor

An example of what my child looks like, below.

• John Doe
    John Doe

When I was 5, my dad would sit me in the front seat of his 3/4 ton GMC, put it in first gear, and let it idle through the pasture while he hopped in the back and threw square hay bales to the cattle. He would then tell me to kill it when he was through, at which time I simply turned the key off. I got my liscense when I was 14, but I had already been driving several years on backroads.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This was my first car:

a 1984 Honda Hatchback. It was a 4 speed stick. I should have kept it longer than I did.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I got my licenses at the age of 16.. ...but I drove a few times before that.

I had lots of cars to drive..Yukon, Lincoln Mark VIII....Why would my parents let me drive brand new cars like these, at the age of 16?

This was my 1st Baby when I was 17.

Brookie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit