will someone please pull me out of this funk......or at least come join me

by kittyeatzjdubs 35 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    lol...u sound like me jeff...i can play 5 chords..e,a,d,g,c...nice to know i'm not alone

hey jojo, and you know, if you threw a Bb, Bm, F, Am, Dm, Em into that mix, you would know all the chords that 90% of popular songs are written in. i don't have a good ear, naturally, for tone either, but i just practiced obsessively. way more than the naturally gifted people. and remember, that once you find your "voice" and your "sound", that can only come from you, you are again another 90% of the way there. you have to trust yourself though. and the trust comes from practice. but, it's a relative thing, sound is. lots of people do not think that bob dylan or kurt cobain are anything to write home about, technically, but they have a certain soul and heart that goes with the rough sound, and i love them for it way more than some guy who *tries* to sound talented and professional, whether he is or not. find your sound, and find your heart, and don't compare yourself to others too harshly, or even ever, and i think you could fly. first get really technical, and force yourself to practice the regular stuff. then, forget your lessons, and get poetic, and your brain will naturally assimilate the technical stuff in the background, while your consciously focus on the poem inside of you. this is part of creative method. you want inspiration? it's a cliche, but it totally comes from within. i would argue not even to bother looking outside of yourself for subject matter. once you have tapped that place, (and i know you have it in you), you find a few chords that you like, you pretend you are the only musician in the history of the universe, the first personto ever play those chords, and you let yourself go, alone, flailing into the unknown. remember, you are a god(dess)... ;) sorry you are in that place. i hate it. it's not like hell. it's like purgatory. torture either way. i am down too today. i just dropped my sister and her sugar daddy husband off at the airport this morning. they are going on, get this, a one year world tour, literally, and i am not even sure that they know how to appreciate it. and i can't help but think to myself: "wtf josh?! pull your act together already..." and i have tried, several times over the years, and i hate pulling my act together.......... it's such a boring thing to do... - how is life such a swan ride for some people? they don't care about passing go and collecting two hundred dollars because they already own park place and the railroad. they roll the dice, and the dice seems like it's rigged. a mere slave to money i am. arrgh!! some days i want to write, some days be a war photographer, some days i just want to sell everything, put on my boots and just start walking south towards mexico. and i'm not joking. i seriously consider it, and i might still do it. a mere slave to my ego i am. arrgh!! that, and women just kill me. evil, evil, evil, impish creations of satan they are! ;) he he... but seriously, they are. the hard irony is that i can't help but worship them, and i always will. a mere slave to biology i am. arrgh!! hope you get better. have a hot bath, drink a bottle of wine, and write some poetry. ts

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

van gogh, you sound like matt

happy new year to you too heathen

luv, jojo

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

(((((((tetra))))))))

impish creation of satan huh? heehee...i like that one.

that's a good point w/ the bob dylan and kurt cobain thing...i swear...i listen to the radio now and i hear these so called ''hits''...and i'm like, ''oh my effin' god...that's such an awful song. I COULDA DONE THAT!!!!!'' gaaah...

oh well...what can we do?

luv, jojo

p.s. if you ever end up walking to mexico, stop by mississippi and take me w/ you. we can sip margaritas on the beach together.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Kitty perhaps you are setting your objectives too high for your age, you've got plenty of time to cultivate your talents, you are just now starting out in life.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I took up guitar a few years back. I suck at it!!! But hey, I keep at it! It is one of MY little pleasures and I'll get better. I'll never become a virtuoso, but thats not the point. It relaxes me. THAT IS THE POINT!
    Sorry about the job demotion. It happens somoetimes. You might want to discretely find out why it happened. If it was something you did, find out what and learn from it. If it was something someone else did, then be advised that you have to take steps to watch your back in the future. Go out and get a copy of Sun Tsu's "The Art of WAR" and memorize it. If you learn it well and understand it, that should keep you from being blindsided again if you lost a battle to somebody els eyou weren't aware you were in competition with. Pay special attention to the chapter on spies, you'll find it a lifesaver in the future. Anyway, learn fro the experience and then don't let it get you down!
    The dogpooh may stink now, but it will come off later. You have that to look forward to!
    Here are a few positive vibes your way! I hope you get to feeling better.

Forscher

P.S. to those who are wondering why I didn't use Sun Tsu's wisdom in the congregation, I thought the congregation should be above that sort of thing. Bad move on my part!!!!

• atypical
    atypical

I'll join you in your funk. This last week has sucked for me. But seriously, don't give up on guitar. I'm not very good, but I still play every day, even if it's for ten minutes. I just know short little parts of a million songs and I get frustrated when I try to write my own stuff. But even so, I think it is a really good stress outlet. Just the chords you know will let you play more popular songs than you would ever have time in your life to learn. Just the A D E chord combination alone will give you hundreds of choices.

If you want to be lazy, put a capo on your guitar, move it to any spot that sounds good, and still play the A D E combo. Depending on where you put the capo, you can play in any key you want. If you put the capo on the third fret, you are actually playing C F G, fifth fret you are playing D G A, and so on, and you get to keep the same chord pattern with your fingers.

Anyway, try to think about what's good in your life. That works for me sometimes.

Cheers.

• Plummet
    Plummet

During the winter I also suffer from a funk and I feel like such a Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins.

On warm sunny winter days, like today, when I get down, I go outside with no hat and in a short sleeve shirt and just stand in the sun. I close my eyes, clear my mind, ignore everything around me, breathe deeply and just stand and absorb the sun for 5-20 minutes. It usually makes me feel much better. But then again I can do that in New Mexico, I don't know how cold it is in Mississippi.

As far as Art and music you might try a different form. I can't draw either, but I can draft the crap out of anything on the computer (I see CAD as a form of art), I can't play an instrument, but I can download music like no other. I can't write a novel (short storys maybe, but not novels) but I file folders like there is no tomorrow. Not everybody is perfect at everything, everyone is different, you just need to find out what you are good at and stick to it.

Sorry about your job, something that helps me at work is to remember that my job is not WHO i am, but it is mearly WHAT I do to make a living, it IS NOT my life, it is only PART of my life. There are ALWAYS going to be people that are unfairly premoted ahead of you so don't worry about CAN'T change and only work on the things you CAN change.

You might take that dog poo shoe and put it in the office of the someone else that was promoted ahead of you. lol

• heathen
    heathen
    Just the A D E chord combination alone will give you hundreds of choices.

yah I think that covers just about all of the ACDC songs . LOL

What I'm finding usesful since being on the web are the tablature sites but I still think you are better off buying the tabs at the music store .

Had I done that to start with I would probly at least be in a bar band .

genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration .

• atypical
    atypical

Heathen - not only AC/DC, but a lot of Johnny Cash, Elvis, Neil Diamond, etc! Of course, if you don't like rockabilly or oldies, you might want to discover power chords, then you can play almost any alternative song.

I like www.olga.net for tabs. If you have particular artists you are interested in, you can do a google search and almost always find a fanatical fan that has posted tabs. Also, the monthly Guitar magazine always has several tabs for popular songs. I learned a lot by studying free tabs and listening to the songs at the same time.

• atypical
    atypical

Heathen, this is for you, buddy - my favorite AC/DC song ever -

JoJo, this is a fun song to learn, even if you just learn the intro and the basic chords-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit