Curious...

by Tez 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen
    Many people here don't consider jws to be christian for some of the following reasons...

I would argue that these "many people" are simply other Christians who think that they know what the "true" Christianity is. Clearly JWs are a form of Christianity--only not mainstream. As far as joining another religion--not me. The same realizations which led to my exodus from the KH have opened my eyes to the human origins of all religions.

• mouthy
    mouthy

(Ok Mum, you may have suspected I would post this!)

Good for you >> that is what is right.. Keep on seeking ---keep on knocking. I DO NOT believe JW are Christians ! They believe Jesus is a god.Also Micheal the Ark angel---- Where as Christians believe Jesus IS GOD ( note the Capital letter)
    Holds up my hand>>>> I am Born again!!!! What you say? at 78 ! Yes it was about ruddy time I would say ( wink

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I belong to the Holy Church of the Eternal Matt. Does that count?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Must add I was a Breach birth >>>>FEET FIRST!!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I became a Christian shortly before leqaving the JWs.

I don't class them as Christian for all the reasons Satanus identifies, and more.

I have a regular religious practice, but that's entirely secondary to my spirituality. The two are not synonymous, and you'll find hypocrites in every walk of life, including many churches. It doesn't make the denomination wrong, though. Counter that with the JWs where the hypocrasy is inherent in the system as well as some individuals.

I'm not saying, by that, that there aren't some very good people in the JWs. I know there are. But IMHO that doesn't make them hristians.

I should also add that religion is perhaps a bit of a "suck-it-and-see" thing. There's so much difference between denominations and even within denominations, that you're actually best getting out there and trying to find a church that you like yourself, if that's your thing

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Dear Tez

Your post said: "but I hear from some who feel they have found it elsewhere so I am intrigued"

Did you check whether these have merely found a church to belong to so they can enjoy forming new social ties (since they'd probably lost quite a few friends and family having left the org)? Or have they actually found THE TRUTH elsewhere? I'm willing to bet that most of the time, the new church/religion is the equivalent of new friends, not new Truth. That's my two cents anyway.

I'm not out of the organization yet, but I've been studying, preparing for the eventual big showdown. Anyway, even now, I sense that there is no TRUTH. So why would I need another religion to "show me their wares"?

So it's a "NO" from me. ;)

INQ

• james_woods
    james_woods

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!

I think this may be one of the most important issues for anyone who leaves - OK, now what am I going to do? I have just a little (personal opinion) to say on it after 25 years on my own two feet:

First, IMHO, anybody leaving needs at least a year or two (maybe more) so that you can get your own thing together and not just let somebody else re-brainwash you into something equally stupid.

Second, I also have to go back to something REALLY smart that Marion Dunlap told me on this very subject - (he became much more tolerant of other religious views after the break, but remained independently Christian. If I understood him correctly he came around to Divinity of Christ without quite going Trinity and just kept his religion by himself in the later years. Never to my knowledge tried to start another group or go to another church) -

a. He allowed that it is very difficult for many of us who leave to go to any other mainstraim church because all the JW hate of other religions is still there in residue. (note - he did NOT say it was WRONG, just that it was mentally difficult for us).

b. He often lamented on how the WT B.S. was so guilty of actually destroying Christian belief - not only its own faithful but so many leaving who just went Agnosticism or Athiesm. One sample of his thinking was this stupid insistence on the 7000 year creative day thing. We often talked about how really ludicrous this was for good people who happened to have some scientific or medical (or whatever) background. His logic was that dumb things like this drive good people away from fundamental religious faith and never had any scriptural basis in the first place.

My own case: Still not sure what is exactly right after 25 years out. My story (and I am sticking to it) is that I went nominally back to Presbyterian which was what was original before JW. Two reasons: * my Dad passed a few years back and wanted to be buried that way. * Their minister is a very nice guy and also happens to be a model railroader.

Now, I have only attended there a couple of times in the past 5 years and I plainly told the minister that I really could not hack the predestination idea. (maybe i am finally accepting Quantum Physics?) He pretty much let me slide on that - (maybe I was just predestined to not get it? ha ha). My new wife is Vietnamese Buddhist and this philosophy also holds a lot of appeal; although not "Christian" it is at least mostly kind and tolerant.

I have personally known maybe 50 or more people who dropped out. I would way that their belief systems run about 1/3 to a new Christian mainstream; 1/3 to sort of an Agnostic independence, and about 1/3 to "other". Don't see anything wrong with any of these as long as they are thinking people with good tolerant ethics toward others.

And that is my "truth" reality,

James

• Scully
    Scully

I will never belong to another religious group. 25 years as a JW was more than enough for me.

I'm an atheist and quite happily so.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I'm willing to bet that most of the time, the new church/religion is the equivalent of new friends,

Not me!!! I do NOT attend a church. I have NO denomination!!!!I have a personal relationship with God. Its me & HIM!!!! I dont care what any one is_ sex, religion, color,fat,thin, old ,young,rich,poor. I TRY to LOVE all & sundry! I have a hard time with defd( sorry)

• Tez
    Tez

Well I get the bit about JW's concentrating on OT more, but I have always valued Jesus example and always believed that even as a JW I was a Christian. The thing is if I were to be involved in anything else, I would have to examine it inside out and backwards, but like many I don't know if I have the energy, I still feel totally drained from the JW experience, and I suppose I am still coming to terms with them not having the 'truth'. It makes sense to me that there is such a thing as 'truth', but now I am very unsure whether we are meant to find it. My conclusions at the moment is that whichever experience we have gone through in our search for God, and the way we dealt with that experience, is the way in which God judges us..?? mmm not sure I have worded that right?? Maybe what I am saying is that 'all roads' can lead to God, but it depends upon our actions in whatever situation we find ourself in. I have also been told that it is very difficult to break the mind control of former JW's, and with the struggle I am having to consider anything outside of them (while never wanting to go back) seems to agree with that.

Keep your comments coming! they help me realise that I am not the only that has been left floundering, like a fish out of water, with no sense of where I am going or even if I want to go anywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit