question, need some info

by onetwofour 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

Doncha remember when Jesus was telling his diciples he was leaving and they were sad because he was leaving them......he promised them he'd send the Holy Spirit Laodicean Messenger to teach and guide them?

The Organisation is like the Catholics. They need earthly representatives to pacify their spiritual needs.

Gumby

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome, newbies!

said that there is no such thing as false prophecy now, that was only meant for the time when the bible was being done and once it was finished so was false prophecies and now when they get things wrong and change them its new light.

Wow. Is this the party line now? Haven't heard it put quite this way before. Unbelievable.

I mentioned all of the failed Watchtower prophecies to the dubbette who cornered me in my car as I was just about to leave the other day. I told her that JW's hold other religions to a very high standard but, apparently, don't think that those same standards should apply to the WTS. My comment about "new light" was that it was awfully convenient when time started running out and it looked like they'd gotten it all wrong once again. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to support a religion that backtracks so often. I know I was.

For more info check out the "Best of" section on the board here. Lots of great discussions to be found on many topics there.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an example of double-speak.

she said that there is no such thing as false prophecy now, that was only meant for the time when the bible was being done and once it was finished so was false prophecies and now when they get things wrong and change them its new light.

Now, did she give you that explanation from the bible? I know she didn't, because there is no verse that says that false prophecy will be done away with in these last days. On the contrary, when Jesus spoke of our future, he specifically warned us against false prophets. Matthew 7:15, 24:11, 24:24, Mark 13:22, 2 Peter 2:1, 1 John 4:1

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some more doublespeak:

One thing i asked the jw's is is there bible translation wrong..... of course they said no and told me that all bibles get approved from some bible board thingy and also that the catholics said there bible is the most accurate translation to date.

I wouldn't call the WTS translation wrong. They did a very thorough job, and worked very hard to provide a literal translation from available texts. Where the bible account conflicts with their doctrines, however, they made minor changes. You might ask for instance, why angels do obesiance to Jesus (Hebrews 1:6) and worship God the Father (Rev 19:4)? The WTS translators chose two different English words for the same Greek one (Proskuneo). You may compare your study partner's NWT with your own bible. Why do the Witnesses introduce a difference where there was none in the original text?

It is true that modern translations have an introductory page that explains what source texts were used in the translation and how they went about preparing a faithful work (bible board thingy). What is missing from the New World Translation is the names of the translators. This is poor form, as scholars come under their own peer review and should be available to answer questions from other translators why one word was chosen over another.

The catholics said their bible was the most accurate to date? Wow. That must have been back in 1950. I'd make her back that statement up and find the source of that comment.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/versbib10.html

• hubert
    hubert

I'm not a great Bible researcher. However, I have TWO NWT Bibles. One is the 1970 edition, and one is the 1984 edition. The 1984 edition was given to me by an ex-elder, and ALSO has "The reasoning from the scriptures" section, which is a book in itself, added onto the NWT Bible. If you are studying with j.w.'s, you will see that one of your teachers Bibles is much thicker than yours.That's because he has "The book of canned answers" ie: The Reasoning from the Scriptures".

Example.
    Reasoning from the scriptures", page 137...IF SOMEONE SAYS ---"My minister said that Jehovah's Witnesses are the false prophets"

You might reply: "May I ask, did he show you anything in the bible that describes what we believe or do and that says people of that sort would be false prophets"? ....May I show you how the Bible describes false prophets? (Then use one or more points outlined on pages 132-136.)'

This is why it looks like they "know" their Bible.

Hubert

• kep81
    kep81

Jgnat .......she told me that westcott and hort were the ones that translated there bible but when i read were it says that it is actually talking about the kingdom interlinear translation......A BIBLE THEY NO LONGER USE so i will definately have to get on to her about that. As for the catholics saying that there bible was the most accurate to date i looked into that on my own and found out that the catholics said it about the revised standard version...........ANOTHER BIBLE THEY NO LONGER USE

• kep81
    kep81

I guess what it is with me is the jws know i dont know a whole lot about the bible so when i ask questions they show me the scriptures that lead me to believe what they say cause im not going to be able to go on no thats wrong this says otherwise. Another thing is i dont know anyone that has bible knowledge so im left with them to explain it to me, when they come around to teach me things i dont have back up only what i read of the internet which isnt much and they getaround it

• hubert
    hubert
    I guess what it is with me is the jws know i dont know a whole lot about the bible so when i ask questions they show me the scriptures that lead me to believe what they say cause im not going to be able to go on no thats wrong this says otherwise.

Exactly....That's why you can't argue Bible to Bible with them. They practice which way to answer practically every question thrown at them. But, that doesn't mean they are right.

If you want to just learn the Bible, there are lots of other religions that hold Bible studies. Look in your local phone book, or ask a local church if they have Bible studies.they can direct you to them.

• freydi
    freydi

Revelation 1:16 - "And he had in his right hand, seven stars; and out of his mouth went a sharp , two-edged sword; and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."

"The seven stars are the angels of each church period, one each. The seventh church period is Laodicea and Pastor Russell was the angel or messenger to Laodicea, the last period of the church. Each messenger brought news or light to his period of the church. That is why one should read the writings of Pastor Russell, NOT any other writings claiming to be new light, such as the JW's."

http://www.biblestudents.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=769&KW=7th+messenger&PN=0&TPN=2

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Kerri,

just ask them something simple, like John 1:1, but have another Bible translation handy. In any other Bible, that scripture will read:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God", but their's will read "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was a God"

They inserted the "a" to "prove" that Jesus is not God, and their's is the only translation I have ever seen it in, and I have seen many differrent ones. Just ask them why it's there, when no other translator put it there. I can assure you, they won't like the question. If you don't have another Bible translation, there are plenty on the internet.

hope that helps

take care

dedpoet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit