Have you ever said " Happy Hanukkah" to a Jew?

by moshe 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

HAPPY HANUKKAH, MOSHE

Linda

• rebel8
    rebel8

I personally twitch when saying happy holiday-du-jour. I don't know why. Happy Thanksgiving, Easter, what have you, it just feels awkward and wierd. Happy birthday does not feel that way. I think it's the sense that holidays are a special day for me too so it seems redundant.

When I do say it in December, I just say "have a nice holiday" to be politically correct.

BTW I have been told by Jews that Hanukkah is not a high holiday so there is no reason to make a big deal about it, and they found it insulting when we'd go around emphasizing it when we ignored the high holidays. They felt we were just focusing on Hanukkah because it came around Christmastime, and they were right.

• La Capra
  • La Capra
    La Capra

Moshe,

Have you considered this: Perhaps they are worried that to say our holiday greeting, it would offend. Sort of like if you haven't been confirmed Catholic, you aren't supposed to take communion in the Catholic Church? What if Jews were offended by gentiles offering us good wishes of the Jewish-type...I bet that's what they are worried about. You know your neighbor is a perfectly polite woman. She wasn't sure if saying it would offend-I bet that's why she stumbled.

Happy Night Two to you.

Shoshana

• greendawn
    greendawn

What is the Hanukkah and does it also fall on the 25th of December every year?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

No have never said this,

do not know exactly what that holyday is also.

Have said happy diwali to hindoes, happy Eid al-Fitr to a muslim. etc.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I think the only Jew I ever met was in service so of course I wasn't going to say 'Happy Hanukkah' to them so I will say it to you!

"HAPPY HANUKKAH"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit