Have you ever said " Happy Hanukkah" to a Jew?

by moshe 16 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

We went out to lunch today and when the server brought our check he wished us a Merry Christmas. My six year old daughter piped up " we celebrate Hanukkah". When the server returned he couldn't get out a " Happy Hannukah" - he stumbled for words- finally said something about a happy holiday. I wished my Catholic neighbor a merry Xmas today- she couldn't get the Hanukkah word out either. I've noticed a pattern in the five years since I converted- Most Christians avoid saying happy Hanukkah to a Jew. Why?

peace,

Moshe

• LDH
    LDH

Not me. I try to remember to ask because I don't want to be offensive. Many of my friend families are inter-faith so I wish them a Happy Chrismukkah.

Happy Hanukkah, Moshe

Lisa

• moshe
    moshe

Thanks Lisa,

Our daughter has school friend whose families do both holidays. She wanted to go to her friend's house at midnight and help them open Christmas gifts. She's a sweetie.

Moshe

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yeah! Of course. Living in NJ, how could I not?

Happy Hannukkah Moshe!

• Scully
    Scully

Yes, absolutely.

I don't think people are being intentionally rude to stumble or forget to wish others a Happy Hanukkah. Maybe people have just never been exposed to the celebration, or know with the same certainty when it is celebrated. This year Hanukkah starts on December 26, but it never seems to be predictable for people who are not familiar with the Jewish calendar.

About 5 years ago, my children became friends with a little Jewish boy in their school. They wanted to know more about Hanukkah, so that year we celebrated both festivals. I made some pretty decent latkes! We have a menorah and all the proper Kosher candles to go with it. We also learned to play dreidls and we got a CD with traditional music to enjoy. We were invited to go to the community Hanukkah celebration and the children got to light candles and meet some other children. It was a great learning experience.

• zagor
    zagor

Happy Hannukkah Moshe!

• moshe
    moshe

Thanks everyone- I feel better! This is the best group around.

Happy Chrismukkah- works for me,too.

Moshe

• Benjamin Belial
    Benjamin Belial

I would have no problem saying it. My friend Evan taught me to swear in Hebrew, the least I can do is wish him a happy Channakuh(sp).

Viva l'Azazel!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Sad that people have no respect for people of other faiths this time of the year.

Happy Hanukkah, Moshe and family

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's interesting. Well, as Christian I have no compuncture about doing so.

Happy Hanukkah, Moshe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit