Are You Truly Happy

by Golf 52 Replies latest jw friends

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I had a truly happy moment (and I feel they are only momentary and must be savoured like a fabulous chocolate!) this morning when hubby took kids to the meeting, I turned up the radio, they were playing 'merry little christmas' and I just danced around the kitchen feeling so FREE!!!!

Yep, later I have to pay when the whole family are coming round and I will no doubt have to discuss stuff, but for now.. I still have 10 more precious minutes!!!

Poppy xxxx

• Golf
    Golf

Good for you PoppyR, savor the moments. We should never allow people to disourage us in what makes us happy, these are precious moments.

Witnesses are not happy people, nope. I say this out of experience, why just reading the post on this forum confirms it.

The lives of witnesses don't affect my life. I don't let my past experience with them control me, I consider my experiences with them as that, experiences, with the exception, I always manage to 'extract' the good out of unsavory experiences.

I don't know your situation and I'm not going to ask. When the hubby and kids get back from their meeting, do you ask questions such as, how was the meeting, anything new and interesting today? You gotta continue 'exuding' that happiness when they arrive home so he can question as to why YOUR happy! Then tell him! This example over a given period of time has an effect, trust me.

Golf

• luna2
    luna2

I'm happy more than I'm not these days. I'm happy to be free from constant guilt. I'm happy I don't have to go around yapping about my religion anymore. I'm happy I can return Christmas greetings or talk about holiday plans. I was happy to go out to lunch with my son yesterday inbetween some last minute shopping.

Sure, there are worries and problems in my life, but they aren't overwhelming. I know that with a little work and a good attitude I can overcome most anything.

• JH
    JH

Yes I'm happy, always have been happy.

But it doesn't take much to change things around. Take away health, and the basic things of life to survive, and ......the happiness goes away, unless a person can have this inner power to stay happy even in very hard times.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I had a letter that a 'sister' had given to hubby at the meeting

And yes we do discuss the meeting etc, I'm very very lucky in that he doesn't judge me at all, I have a feeling he knows I'm right.. We make fun of the brothers and sisters and generally he's a great guy (has no privileges and is considered to be 'on the edge' but he's more sincere than all the elders put together) I respect his opinion totally, why wouldn't I, it was mine too for so long, and I think he just doesn't really get mine.. but there is time.

Anyway.. the letter, the sister said and I quote.. "put your hand on your heart and tell me you feel the truth is not the truth and that you are happier without it"

I just put my hand straight on my heart and said out loud.. the truth is not the truth and I feel SO much happier!!

I dont feel I can reply to the letter, and know it was sent for the right, if misguided reasons, but I just feel like the ten ton weight I was carrying has gone, yes life still gets me down, but it's a lot easier to get back up without it!

Incidentally the talk today I'm told.. on xmas day, was about the proper use of alcohol! Hubby almost cried because he has the week off work (he drives every day) and we have a fridge full. Somehow think that's going to be forgotten by tonight!

Poppy xxx

• PoppyR
    PoppyR
    In an ideal world everyone would be happy but this isnt an ideal world. As long as your not depressed or suicidal thats all that matters right

Personally... no I dont think it's all that matters, life is way too SHORT for this, if you are not happy, then ask yourself why not, is it your life, your attitude??? Is it medical.. etc, DO something about it. What's the point in being alive if you are just 'not depressed!'

And no I dont buy the "I've had a crap childhood, I'll never be happy"

I had a crap childhood, I decided that to carry on whinging about it was only hurting me, the people that made it crap were no longer around, so I was going to get over it. And yes it does still affect me, but on the whole.. I live for those gorgeous little moments in time that make life so beautiful, sun on my face, nice glass of wine, laughter with friends, touch of a loved one... Life is so full of beauty, being a JW can concentrate the mind on all the sickness and distress in the world, now I'm free I see so much goodness, and I'm so grateful every day for the small things.

I read a brilliant book about gratitude where the author said every night she wrote down 10 things to be thankful for. Sometimes she said she had to think really hard!! But she said the more she practised, the easier it got til she could write down hundreds.. and suddenly found.. no more depression.

Oooh, getting down off my high horse now, but I feel so strongly that life is to be lived, make the most of it.

Poppy xxx

• Golf
    Golf

Luna2 good comment. When we allow situations to 'overwhelm' us we lose out on the joys of life. We need to take more 'control' of our lives and not allow others to do the controlling. It is up to us individually to make ourselves happy or to have a contented life. Keep up the good work.

JH, happiness is not handed to us on a plate, we gotta make it happen by stepping up to the plate. My father-in-law a non-witness had an impact on me, he was positive. Actually, many of the older folks while growing up had a positive impact on me. These people lived during the depression and they didn't have the modern conveniencesthat we enjoy today, yet, they we're positive.

Today, we have modern conveiences and yet people are unhappy!!!!!! Can people today be happy without taking drugs? Yes!

Golf

• Golf
    Golf

PoppyR, good comments and I hope others get to read it. No, your not on a high horse, it's experience talking. We need to share more such experiences. I appreciate your input.

Golf

• gumby
    gumby

This may sound silly to some......but taking a good poop in the morning makes my day happier

* hasn't had a good poop yet this morning*

Gumbound

• gumby
    gumby

......and another thing that's off topic this time......

Is the board slow this morning because all the happy people are having christmas an opening presents and all us unhappy losers have nuthin better to do than type on our keyboards and make posts to other unhappy losers? Say it ain't so!

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit