A Letter I Feel I Should Share.

by Apostanator 31 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Quango,

The announcement that will be read tonight is "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses," with my name filling the blank. There is nothing in that announcement that involves my family or my friends, it is a religious decision. Jehovah's Witnesses do not respect other's choice of religion.

If I am truly no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses, what am I? A worldly person? Well, they still talk to worldly people, even about Scriptural things. I am not announced as disassociated, I am not announced as disfellowshipped, I am announced as no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

How did you treat people who weren't Jehovah's Witnesses?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

Hey AlmostAthiest,

Don't worry about it. I didn't take it that way.

• Bryan
    Bryan

An excellent letter. Unfortunately, well known story.

My best,

Bryan

• Balsam
    Balsam

The sad thing is they feel that anyone disassociated, or disfellowhipped should completely understand the shunning. After all it was talked about constantly at meetings and it was assumed that everyone agreed that shunning was the Godly thing to do. So when one is disfellowshipped I think it puzzles them that they (the disf'ed or disas'ed ones) would be upset by the shunning.

The fact is that most JW's have never experienced what it like to be disfellowshipped and they basically don't know what it feels like to be shunned especially by their own beloved family. As the old saying goes until one walks a mile in the shoes of another they can't understand. Your letter makes it clear how it feels, good going. Your visit to your Ma should be on your terms.

I have only one nephew and his family that are in the JW's. I wasn't raised a JW so when I left I was not as greatly affected as so many of you are. Your stories are heart breaking, yet JW think well why don't they just come back to the congregation? They don't understand that because of the shunning they can't forgive those who shunned the cruelity they inflected on those disfellowshipped or disassocated. I am shunned by all the JW friends I had though, but I care little for them so its no big deal. The ones who were kind to me when they knew I was about to be disfellowshipped I feel for them because they were genuinely caring people and not superfical.

Balsam

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Apostanator }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I just read your deeply touching letter to my husband. He knows very little about what we have gone through as JWs, your letter just gave him a big dose of the reality most of us have faced. Were so sorry for what you have been through. Love~Kate

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Especially with disassociation, it isn't about the Bible and it isn't about their conscience. It is about policy. Until the policy changed, it was fine to constinue to associate with those who walked away, even if they wrote a letter. Then the policy changed, and we are expected to believe that suddenly it started to bother people's consciences? Give me a break! But still, some ignored the policy and then it became a disfellowshipping offense to associate with those who leave.

So, is their conscience guided by the Bible, or is it controlled by policy? Well, ask yourself this: How many would refuse to associate with their family members and friends if there was no threat of disfellowshipping to prevent it?

You just answered the question.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

P.S. My aunt just called to say goodbye. I assured her she'll always be welcome in my house. She said, "Son, you know that's not possible." I said, "Oh, it's possible. All it would take is another change in a policy that has changed before. I'm not choosing to leave my family, I'm choosing to leave their religion." I'm sure it won't sink in.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    I'd love to see it! I just spent a few hours roaming around a small town while my wife and kids visited with her JW parents. It was actually fun, but it sucked that I simply wasn't allowed to come into their home.

Dave that did suck! That is really sweet that you allow yourself to be shunned so your wife can see them. You sure take it well. Hope they wake up and tell you how sorry they are when they find out how totally wrong that is. When will they EVER learn what love is????? sorry I'm just hatin' it fer ya...

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Has there been a recent change in policy concerning association with the disfellowshipped. It seems like recently there have been more active JWs talking to disfellowshipped members. I know of several. Did they get some new light this Fall?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I keep reading posts from people who disassociate themselves & then complain that no witness will associate with them anymore.

There is a point in there. That is why many of us do not take that route, and even moderate our tone when around the non family dubs. . If the congo ever catches up with me and comes gunning, then I intend to force a Judicial Meeting , then an appeal - make them work for their satisfaction. Also it would deny any family member the satisfaction of saying that I turned my back on the congregation

But each one must do as they must ; I know that a lot of members just have to d/a themselves to feel right in themselves, It is a personal decision

• one
    one

i would like to know specifically why the wt is not consistant with the shunning rule,

why don't they advice the "faithfull" jw mate to leave the husband/wife?

the faithfull now has a religious excuse, the state have no jurisdiction on the religious matter, the couple is not even compatible anymore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit