Being sexually virtuous, useful or a waste of time?

by greendawn 26 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you think there is any benefit at all in being virtuous sexually, ie foregoing sexual gratification, or is it a total waste of time and effort as our atheist friends would say?

Is there anything to be gained by it, would you find a virtuous person a more trustworthy partner for example? Does it make for more stable marriages?

• steve2
    steve2

Virtue in and of itself is probably not a quality whose genuine worth is assessed in isolation, in the sexual arena or any other.

Without compassion, mercy and love, most of the so-called "admirable" qualities can be hammers with which to hit people. I know of people who are extremely big on "integrity" and "high standards" but who are as cold as fish and as heartless as stones.

• skyman
    skyman

No matter how much people try not to be jealous they sometimes get that way. So I believe it is not worth the trouble of hurting your mate. So if your are virtuous it is a good thing.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi

I think I may be missing your point. Virtuous as in ?? You can get some sexual gratification without involving anyone else!

When involving someone else, what *isn't* virtuous?

At the end of the day, I think that we are best off if we a) respect ourselves and love ourselves totally, which means not exposing ourself to infection / humiliation / being used etc. and b) also refrain from harming anyone else in this way.

So it is useful to be careful health-wise and self-esteem wise with regards to sex, but trying to be somehow inhumanly "virtuous" is just denial, IMHO.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Well, as far as marriage, if that is what you are referring to - if both partners vow to be faithful to each other sexually, then that is what should happen, and none of them should violate that.

Sirona

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

For a stable and disease free relationship YES. If you believe in Evolution and not God then NO

• zagor
    zagor

I don't think apeman loved to share any of his resources including his woman (or women for that matter) with anyone else. So today's swinging lifestyle is completely contrary to the course of nature. Does that answer your question?

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

My mantra is this: First, harm none. This covers all areas and aspects of human relationships and life..........physical, emotional, ethical.

Terri

• steve2
    steve2
    If you believe in Evolution and not God then NO

It is undenaible that belief in an all powerful and all avenging God is at the bottom of virtuosity for many people. The world thrives on the survival of the fittest - and in terms of fitness, the God of the Bible would have to be the fittest. He must be obeyed...or else.

It still leaves unanswered the question: Why are so many people who lack virtue also ardent believers in an all avenging God? The heart of "terrorism" is claimed to be "obedience" to God. But I don't see evolutionists flying plane loads of innocent people into skyscrapers.

I think it's a mistake to equate belief in God with virtue and an absence of belief in God with less of a "need" for virtue.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

lol

ya man, some of the freakiest babes i have ever been with where the ones who were supposed to be virtuous. i love it that way though.

ha ha

but ya, i cast my vote as virtue being a waste of time, personally, as you already guessed greendawn. that said, i still go out of my way to avoid hurting people. it's just not fun in real life when people are hurt. if both parties are not laughing, it's not funny.

anyways, generally, religion, and fear-of-god-virtue, keep societies in line. we are too dumb to face reality, which is fine. so-called virtue strengthens families, and societies. raises kids in stable homes etc etc. the continuance of our species continues on. so, it's a waste of time for me personally, but probably not in regards this big rickety thing we have built up called wesstern society. but then again, i don't have a wife and kids, which i am thankful for. imagine if everyone thought life was devoid of external meaning, like i do? man, for some reason i picture i big 6 billion person orgy, but i could be wrong. it wouldn't be the first time.

regarding evolution. i am not sure who brought it up, but whatever man. just picture how much un-virtuous sex there has been on this planet in it's grand 4 billion year history among our ancestors. just picture it for a moment. some common ancestor of ours was a slut for sure. sorry to break it to you like that. if you see virtue in nature, perhaps it is you reading virtue into it.

that said, i know there are lots of dirty religious people, and virtuous atheists. so, not sure where you are going with it. sure, i may not be one of them, but they are out there. there's some damn virtuous ones on this board, as a matter of fact.

ts

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change."
    — Marquis de Sade, Last Will and Testament

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit