How did you overcome the allure of Paradise? Or have you?

by M.J. 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I feel like I've found a bit of Paradise, too. When we were dubs, it was like everything would be put off until Paradise. Marriage, having kids, education, spending time outdoors or enjoying nature, having hobbies, building a life, etc. "We'll struggle through life now having menial jobs and going out in service on all of our days off, but we can really live and relax in Paradise."

Now, things don't have to be put off as much. Though my life isn't great, I am free to enrich it if I so desire, and before I had to postpone that "until Paradise."

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

How did you overcome the allure of Paradise?

by realizing that reality is always perfect until compared to something it is not.

reminding myself that there is only one unfolding of reality and we are all it and the cause of suffering about is from rejecting

this one unfolding in comparison to ideal fantasies which seem better but dont exist at this moment....

we can work towards them, but the best way to get there is to accept where we have been and are.... wringing our hands

about it not being here yet seems just an excuse to do less than it takes to get there, not what it takes.

• M.J.
    M.J.

anewme, you forgot the comma.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Someone asked me the question what difference does it make where the comma was? Why all the ruckus? Either way Christ talk about paradise. So whether they went to paradise that day or some day in the distant future, paradise was still the end result. I didn't know what to say to him, he was right. Considering JWs believe at least some people will go to heaven its a non eventus.

But I digress,

I sinned my way out of the allure. No paradise for you son. Fair dues gov I'll just keep enjoying myself.

• JAVA
    JAVA

The allure of paradise wasn’t something I gave much thought to as a JW, because when I really thought about it, it didn’t make sense. For the most part many JWs couldn’t figure their way out of a paper bag; how could they do any better if everything was left up to them? Unless the big J rolled up his sleeves and snapped his finger to make it happen, I didn’t see how it was going to come about with the JWs running the show.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The idea of living on a paradise earth was what first attracted me in the first place, and kept me going for most of the time I was in. Now I realise that's all it was, an idea with nothing really to substantiate it, so I'm out.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Amen to what Blondie said, lost all thoughts of a paradise earth, when i was sitting one day in the hall, and noticed all the supposed spiritual paradise around me, no thanks I didn't want to be a part of them anymore nor their supposed paradise earth.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It was very alluring when I was a kid..the same way noah's ark seemed plausible. When I got older though it seemed far too surreal to be possible so I can't say I really miss it.

• anewme
    anewme

I didnt forget the comma.

It brought out Spectrum's special thoughts and keen insight.

Its true. Paradise is mentioned in the scriptures.

Paradise Lost/ Paradise Restored is one of the themes of the Bible.

If one has lost a dear loved one in death, the paradise is a most treasured prospect.

I think this loss, more than any other, brings man to his knees. And he looks up to a higher power for help to deal with it.

To laugh again, to hold again, to kiss again lost loved ones is a precious hope many will not give up.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It was easy to forget the JW version of pair-o-dice when I read the following scriptures:

John 10:10 I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance.

John 14:1-3 “Your heart must not be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also.

The Jw's never will have life in abundance in this world or the next because they have no joy in serving the Lord.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit