Just watched LOTR!

by tall penguin 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

OMG I have read these so many times! Own the trilogy and have watched them many many times.

As for the books, I enjoyed them so much and had read them so often that I read the entire series including the Hobbit out loud to my then husband. After my son was old enough to be able to enjoy them I read them to him as well.

In my opinion Tolkien does fantasy so well that others pale in comparison. I really don't read all that much of the genre, I prefer the hard sci-fi novels instead.

You'll love the last one, my only complaint was that they drew the end out a bit more than they needed to. If you read the book you'll understand why, they may have been trying to pacify the "truists". However for someone that has not read the novels I think it just didn't flow right at the end.

NO MORE CLUES!!!

Sherry

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

The Extended Editions are definitely the way to go.

When Return of the King was over, I was so sad because the story was over, and I knew there was not going to be another chapter to watch the following year. Maybe we'll get the Hobbit one day, but the magic of "The Fellowship" just won't be there in a story about 12 dwarves and a fussy Hobbit.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

penguin...I had exactly the same problem when I read LOTR in middle school, and I too generally do not read fiction. However, I should say that once you have seen the movies, you should definitely go check out the books, because now you know the general story, and won't get confused the same way. But what you will find is a depth of story not possible in the movies and a truly wonderful storytelling style and lots of poems and songs that didn't make it into the movies...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Captain....Don't forget Gandalf and Gollum! And the dragon. It'll be a great film to watch. Plus the dwarves got short shrift in the LOTR movies...just a bunch of dead dwarves, Gimli used for comic relief, etc. Plus I wanna see Mirkwood and the lonely mountain.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I'm really confused. Will someone tell me why I should see this. I am not a sci-fi fan and fantasy is next on my list of not-favorite genres. I love almost every other genre though. It seems like a major cult following like Star Wars fans and Star Trekkies has formed around this trilogy.

I should say that I am really excited to watch The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. I read these (the Narnia series) as a teen and LOVED the suspense and relationship elements.

HS

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

So...maybe I will give the books a try. Perhaps they would be an easier read now that I've seen the movies.
    hartstrings, as I mentionned, I'm not a fantasy fan myself but I loved these movies. The characters are all well-casted and well-developed and the story is epic. The cinematography is captivating. I don't know what else to say. It's one of those stories that just has you holding your breath waiting to see what comes next.
    Regarding Narnia, I haven't read those books either but I just saw the movie. I wasn't nearly as impressed by it as I was with LOTR. I realize it's written for a different audience and so it has a different appeal. I did find it entertaining though. Lots of Christian undertones. More obviously so than LOTR. Hope you enjoy it.
    tall penguin

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Thanks for the info Tall Penguin. I'm just really torn as to whether I want to spend 6 hrs of my life on it. Thanks again!

HS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    but the magic of "The Fellowship" just won't be there in a story about 12 dwarves and a fussy Hobbit.

And a dragon...dont forget the dragon.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Regarding Narnia, I haven't read those books either but I just saw the movie. I wasn't nearly as impressed by it as I was with LOTR. I realize it's written for a different audience and so it has a different appeal. I did find it entertaining though. Lots of Christian undertones. More obviously so than LOTR. Hope you enjoy it.

Maybe cuz the Narina books were sorta geared towards children. I read all of them by the time I reached high school and really enjoyed reading them. Haven't read them since but my 8 year old daughter is now reading Narina and really loves it, almost as much as Harry Potter and the Dark Matters trilogy by Pullman.

Josie

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    You'll love the last one, my only complaint was that they drew the end out a bit more than they needed to. If you read the book you'll understand why, they may have been trying to pacify the "truists". However for someone that has not read the novels I think it just didn't flow right at the end.

Funny, that was my only complaint too. I thought the end was WAY too long and drawn out. I thought these were the best book to movie adaptations I had ever seen. Wonderfully done. What I thought was so cool was the casting - all the characters looked just like I had pictured the 9000000000 times I read the books.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit