Service Report for 2005 is not all good

by truthseeker 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

It's probably a matter of a few years when they will no longer publish the numbers. Sure, they will keep asking for your time slip(how else will the elders be able to measure your spirituality?), but when the r&f begin to notice the downtrend in pubs, the morale will also trend downwards. The only way to keep the flock happy will be to hide the numbers. Brothers, do we really need to focus on the numbers? They probably already have a plan in place to ease away from this scheme.

The WTS is big on numbers though. They would have to come up with a doosey of a reason to stop printing the yearly reports. I don't think it is going to be a matter of if, but a matter of when they do this. Just look at the Awake - this was most likely based on saving money.

• ballistic
    ballistic

No - I don't think they'll stop publishing numbers - they didn't when the figures dropped after 1975. But you can always gaurantee the rank and file will always feel the the numbers are *saying* something important whether they are going up or down. It's all about the spin put on the numbers - whether god is "speeding it up in his own time" or "the love of the greater number will cool off" or "sorting the sheep from the goats" or some other scripture applied purely in order to fit the current trend.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Just to clarify:

Also, the United States had a 0% increase.

How can you have a nil increase??

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

How can you have a nil increase??

because it is strictly speaking it is not zero but about 0.17% increase

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    because it is strictly speaking it is not zero but about 0.17% increase

(ozzie shakes his head in amazement!)

Stilla:

You know what they say about statistics, don't you: "lies, damned lies and statistics"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

To be honest, this is one area where I don't have any real reason to doubt the veracity of what they are reporting, as no corporation in it's right mind would report a decrease. Sure the Publishers and Pioneers are fudging their hours, but there's little reason to report the statistics inaccurately.

In some respects, posting details of decline might even be a reason to beat a drum to "encourage" folks to work harder...

...it aint working, though

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    The number of hours is fake - at least 120 hours recorded in the stats are my fake ones.

I fake roughly 12 a month.

Hubby fakes roughly 10 a month.

there is another 264 hours of fakery a year.

wanna

• metatron
    metatron

The "absurd glossy pamphlet" they printed to get youth to reach out was printed while they were downsizing Bethel!

Yet, they recommended Bethel service anyway - what hypocrites!

metatron

• forsharry
    forsharry

muahahaha! and then soon, global domination will be mine! It's all part of my dastardly plan...

and now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I personally rejoice at this information. It is truly survival of the fittest! Social darwinism is again at work in the bOrg.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Looks like the 15 minute rule for elderly/housebound publishers has flunked. It was said somewhere on the forum that an increase of 1-2% had been achieved in attendance using this unorthodox method.

I "reported" that, based on what a DO said at an elders' school three years ago when the 15-minute provision was announced. It was based on a "pilot program" in another country.

If that held true for the U.S., then last year's 0% increase was actually a 2% decrease if the publishers were counted in the same manner as three years ago (comparing apples to apples).

Second point: a few people have questioned whether secretaries make up the numbers. Well, I can assure you they do. Estimating field service time is a secretary's best tool when faced with a reporting deadline and procrastinating publishers. The "I gave you 10 hours because that's what you had last month and you can adjust it next month" statement above is a real-life example. I did it when I was secretary (actually, I would take a three-month average and record THAT number). This was especially prevalent in the month before the CO would arrive because elders all knew that when the CO went over the publisher record cards and the congo's accumulated time, the records had better be up to date. If 15 publishers had not turned in their time and had not returned your phone call, and it was already 9 o'clock at night and the report had to be mailed in the morning, well... a reasonable estimate fills out a card, completes a report and makes a deadline. And that's what it's all about.

All this makes me think of a story told by prize-winning journalist David Halberstram, who was a reporter covering Vietnam in the early days of the war. A few years later, after he returned to New York, there was a news story circulating that the U.S. Army was censoring American journalists in Vietnam. Halberstram was asked if he was ever censored by the Army back in the early days of the war. He said, "No, I was never censored. Of course, I pretty much knew what to write."

The JW numbers game is just like that. Nobody really "fudges" the numbers. In fact, much lip service is paid to the accuracy of these numbers and to the casual observer, the dubs are fastidious about getting these numbers right. But down in the trenches, where the numbers are being recorded, you pretty much know what to write.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit